Pre-HE Opus Ignition woes

Have been reading the original Crane 700 installation instruction sheets covering a selection of different distributors including the Lucas opus distributors that use part no 700-300 kit. The adjustable mounting arm and mounting foot brackets are indeed mounted to the existing Lucas vacuum advance plate using one of the existing screw holes.
The mounting brackets for Lucas distributor are the same as used in the universal distributor kit according to the instructions
It appears the current FAST 700-300 kit brackets have not changed and hopefully works for the Lucas opus distributors, apart from the missing part being the 12 slot shutter disk and mounting hub. I have no electronic or engineering experience, so will take advice of the experienced forum members to consider if what is being discussed is a viable replacement solution for Opus ignition system. I will follow with interest whether John can manufacture the 12 slot shutter disk and there is support for John. Thanks.

I used pop rivets to attach the disk to the hub. Thereā€™s a complet writup of this at my website.

www.efsowell.us

That link seems to be inop, Ed.

Lessee, thereā€™s the 700-0231:

ā€¦and the 700-0292:

ā€¦and the 700-0226:

https://pitstopusa.com/i-23952889-f-a-s-t-xr700-points-ignition-conversion-kit.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp23952889&sc_intid=23952889&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhtT1BRCiARIsAGlY51KFhYbuj2WxPNs-xs2N6lXYDOXFdoRTnNDPEjrmGhZF76Ujykc62DoaAhAmEALw_wcB

How are they different? Who knows? That last one says itā€™s for domestic cars, and seems to have more hardware in the picture.

You can also apparently buy the amp alone, 700-0001.

Oops. Thanks for the heads up. Iā€™ll look into it.

Try it now. Go to http://www.efsowell.us/eds-interests/eds-jag/ and look for 4.9 Installation of a Crane XR700 Ignition System

Ed

Better, Ed, but the ā€œMoreā€¦ā€ link at the end of that paragraph doesnā€™t work.

Pop riveted on as I recall

Hummmā€¦ Just checked Amazon and the have three (3) FAST 700-0300 kits available. Also emailed FAST, inquiring as to availability. Several other Jaguar parts suppliers also offer the this kit. Noted the Amazon description did indicate for 12 cylinders.

Dick

Yeah, I should have dug deeper before pronouncing it fixed. Site got all screwed up when WordPress (which my site is based on) did an update. I have to upload a bunch of stuffā€¦ should be OK later today.

Just a quick update: Emailed FAST regarding separate purchase of the 12 slot shutter wheel. Hereā€™s their response:

Hi Dick,

We do not sell the disk by itself, but it does come in our parts kit 5700-2300. This kit sells for $27.94.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Donā€™t know what all comes in the parts it but will order one today and find out.

Happy Trails,

Dick

Well you might knowā€¦ I should have checked out EVEYTHING before posting. The Part Number given by the FAST Customer Service Representative - Jonathan was WRONG.
When I went to the FAST web site entered the 5700-2300 part number was informed the P/N was invalid. The REAL part number is 700-2300 AND it doesnā€™t mention anything about the 12 slot shutter wheel. Ordered one! Weā€™ll see what arrives. Will post an update then. Also, shipping is kinda expensive but what isnā€™t today ! ! !

Happy Trails,

Dick

1 Like

Hereā€™s an image of the 700-2300:

Note that it does say itā€™s only representative, actual product may vary. Iā€™m not optimistic, though.

Thanks for the update w/photo. This is exactly why I make a paper trail (now emails) going directly to the source. If Jonathan gave me incorrect information the kit will go back and his boss and I will discuss it further! No excuse for a Company like FAST to be represented by an employee that doesnā€™t know his product. Keeping my fingers cross and withholding any reservations until the kit arrives. That will tell the story. Again, thanks for the update.
If we donā€™t demand excellence then weā€™re short changing ourselves (and others).

Happy Trails,
Dick

FYI I ordered and just received the 700-0300 kit from Amazon using the link @Dick_Wells provided. It might be older stock but it has the V12 shutter disc. Might be prudent to get one while the gettingā€™s good if they are discontinued.

~Mike

1 Like

For future reference could you take the measurements of that plastic hub to which the disk is riveted?

Yes - Iā€™ll get it tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi John - here is a small drawing with measurements in inches of the plastic hub of the Fast 700-0300 V12 shutter wheel. This is not a high-precision plastic part - there is flash, thickness variation etcā€¦ Measured with an inexpensive .001" accuracy caliper and also similarly accurate, inexpensive micrometer. There is no key protrusion in the plastic hub - must rely only on the key protrusion on the metal wheel.
@Dick_Wells I should also mention that within the box was a separate bag marked ā€œ5700-2300 Lucas Partsā€ containing all the installation stuff and various shutter wheels. I guess thatā€™s where Jonathon got the number from.

2 Likes

Mike, Great to hear youā€™re the one I noticed purchased from Amazon. Did the 700-0300 you received have FAST or Crane labeled? Any possibility of posting a picture of everything that came in the box? Great newsā€¦ progress.

Happy Trails,

DIck

Hi Dick, everything is labeled FAST. Iā€™ll get a pic of the contents of the box and post later.

~Mike