Problem gearbox

guys, the engine has finally been redone … valves, piston rings, gaskets etc etc … to do it, the mechanic obviously disconnected the transmission and once reassembled, everything seems to work correctly except the gearbox. in practice before work the gear selector worked well except for the failure to signal the letter D when you entered forward gear … now it’s worse … to put P I have to move the lever slightly to the left looking for some contact … .for the letter R and D it happens that sometimes they do not engage and then I have to repeatedly move the lever until it settles. What happens? I have a 1987 Daimler 3.6 …

Badly aligned neutral safety switch on the left side of the transmission?

1 Like

i will ask to mechanic about this…

Max …

Your car has the ZF 4Hp 22. Nothing electrical involved in the transmission, all hydromechanical.

Check the alignment of the gear shifter in the cabin in relation to the microswitch right below it. If you pull up the shifter trim there are 4 small bolts that attach the shifter plate and they have some forward and back adjustment.

If this isn’t the problem then it is at the end of the shifter cable where it attaches to the transmission. There is a rubber isolator that breaks loose and causes the cable to slide back and forth instead of moving the shift lever on the side of the transmission.

1 Like

incredible…the car made 20 meters and the gearbox doesn’t work…put all letter but the car is stopped. the P works…

alive…a ghost lives in my jag!!! now all works…the letter turns on in display and the car goes!!! but sorry…if is it a problem about thos correct set why now does the car work?

i can tell the car was stopped for two hour…maybe the idraulic system has air? and sometimes a bubble wrongs the gearbox

today…it happened the same…i started, 20 meters and the car doesn’t go! i waited 10 minutes with the motor turned on and the gearbox worked again, i drove for 40 minutes without problem…parked 3 times …always re-started normally…

could it be the cold? the car sleeping on the way…and there is 4 deegree and many umidity.

We put 4 lt of oil, maybe is it not enough??

Adjust electrical black box on right hand side of shifter base to synchronize prndd23 .

Loosen all cable ends ,put gearbox in neutral by hand should be straight up in center ,put shifter in neutral tighten all up ,if still a bit off play with 4 base top screws up r down

I used two self tapers to hold rubber in place

I solved all…It was not enough oil (many many LT)…now i’m fighting with the rear window and trunk infiltration!!