Problem starting

1962 E type.Approximately 18 months ago fitted 123 electronic ignition,new plugs,leads,coil and had the carbs overhauled by Burlen and the car performed well till recently.the car had been laid up for a few months and now trying to start takes about 15-20 attempts. When it does start revs to 1500rpm then drops to 900rpm runs for a few seconds and cuts out.After repeating this a few times the car will run once it reaches operating temperature.when depressing the throttle car backfires and pops.
Any ideas, possible solutions would be greatly appreciated

It may be one of the Jets is not operating in unison with the choke mechanism, or stuck, as it runs when warmed up

Sounds like fuel is taking it’s time to fill the carbs , then running out of fuel after engine has used fuel in carbs , fuel filters blocked , fault with fuel pump :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for the info

I also have a '62. If left for a few weeks it seems to take the in tank pump about 25 to 30 seconds to fill the float bowls. It usually starts first time at this point. If I don’t do this, it cranks “dry” until the fuel catches up.

Thanks for the info. I seem to have good fuel pressure but not sure if it is consistent

by–the–way…this category, XK engine is for tech questions relating more specifically to the actual engine–…it gets fewer views and responses than the E type forum…so that’s where you will normally want to post…and get more views and responses…
Nick