Production date from VIN?

Is there a way to find out the production date from the VIN? It is an XJ12 and the Vin starts 728xxx.
The service booklet confuses me. It states a delivery date of 17/07/95 but a “pre delivery inspection” date of 28/11/94. More than half a year between the two dates?!?

Cheers,
Harald

HI Harald the 10th digit in the VIN denotes the MY. R=1994 S=1995 and T=1996
Hope this helps.

Regards Robin

It sat in the Dealer inventory for more than half a year. It was a stock order or the original (ordering) customer did not/would not purchase the car. The door sticker should have the production date (the day it rolled off the assembly line).

bob

HI Harald the 10th digit in the VIN denotes the MY. R=1994 S=1995 and T=1996
Hope this helps.

Thanls for the info, but unfortunately I have a B for 1994 to 1997 there.

Regards Robin

Cheers,
Harald

It sat in the Dealer inventory for more than half a year. It was a stock order or the original (ordering) customer did not/would not purchase the car.

Thats what I thought as well, but could a 728xxx really have been delivered as early as November 94?

The door sticker should have the production date (the day it rolled off the assembly line).

I’ll have a look when I get to the car.

bob

Cheers,
Harald

The plate in the door will give you the month and year of production, but not the day, if I recall correctly.

I had a look on both driver and passenger side all arround the door frame. No sign of a sticker anywhere.
Where exactly is supposed to be?
It might have been removed by a previous owner.

Harry, there should be a stamped number, on a r/h drive car it is on the drivers side inner fender just inboard of where the wing is bolted to the body about the midway point

No number there, but it is a LHD car.