[PURCHASED] Need a Rear Main Seal Housing for '62 E-type FOUND! SUMMARY AT BOTTOM

(Include at least one picture)

Description: For an E-type built between 1961 and 1964 3.8 Liter only as 4.2 L will not work. There are exceptions to the E-type but must be sure it is the right part.

Asking price (if selling):

Contact information: PM on J-L to Scot Thompson

Cost of shipping (if selling):

Willing to ship worldwide?

Please always be careful before sending money or valuables to someone you don’t know. Use an escrow service if you’re not 100% certain of the identity and integrity of the person you’re dealing with.

By using this service you agree to resolve any and all disputes with the other party directly, and to indemnify and hold Jag-lovers harmless from any claims, losses, liability, or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) that arise from your use of Jag-lovers and this service.

I wrote him Paul.

1 Like

I’ll take a look. I might have one.

That would be great Tim. Thanks for looking.

I have one. Same numbers as what you show and matches my 1964 & 65 3.8S blocks I have, size amd and all.

Shoot me a PM if interested and make me an offer.

Top view. Cap screws recessed.

Does the oil pan half have the outside groove for the cork seal?

The housing doesn’t have a groove, but the sump does.

That is for a 4.2. The 3.8 has the groove for the cork seal in the seal housing and the sump is smooth. Plenty of 4.2 ones out there.

Well that’s interesting both my factory original 3.8s have the exact same part.

Thanks Tim for the efforts. Here is a pic of the 3.8 bottom half housing from the oil pan side. It’s the key part I need as Dick says. I’ll get a pic of the 4.2 pan vs. the 3.8 pan.

Here is a pic of both a 4.2 oil pan on the left and a 3.8 oil pan on the right. The cork seal on a 3.8 fits into the bottom half of the main seal housing whereas the cork seal on a 4.2 fits into the oil pan. That can be seen in this photo.

1 Like

3.8 E-Type and 3.8 sedans are different. Cork seal in the seal retainer vs cork seal in the oil pan.

1 Like

So maybe you swap oil pans as well if you can’t find the correct seal? Just a thought.

E type pans are not commonly available, and when are, are not competitively priced…:confounded:

1 Like

And there’s my new FotD!

1 Like

That is the last ditch plan Larry. But I went to great lengths, and expense, to make this engine correct. I’d hate to give up now. We shall see…

My inventory shows them in stock. If you can’t find one cheaply from someone’s excess stock, I can look to see if it is actually in the correct location and, if necessary, find where my former idiot employees hid them.

Not sure it’s what you are looking for, but I have one at home. Probably early. I think it came from an XK150. Be a few minutes. I’m not at home at the moment.