Putting bonnet on

I need to put the bonnet on the car before it can go out to paint since, it would be difficult to transport separately.

Do you all recommend putting all he catches back on? Centre hood latch and two A pillar hooks and the alignment pins?

Or did you just put the pivot pins and the hinge/springs on and tie it down somehow?

The safety catch is enough for transport, but put the catches on to be certain that everything fits sweetly, then take them back off.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

1 Like

I think it depends on how you load it and how far your going to transport it. If it were me I would have it very well secured, but again that’s just me.
Cheers,
LLynn

I’d put the catches on and take them off along with the safety catch once I got the car to the paint shop. Removal takes little time and their being installed during transport ensures the bonnet stays put.

1 Like

Bill;
All you really need to do is install the pivot bolts, lower the bonnet into position, and use a strap or rope to encompass the bonnet and body to hold everything in place. You may want to use some foam rubber to pad the areas of contact. Depending on how far and how fast you travel to the paint shop will give you an idea of how much you need to bind everything together.
I certainly would not fault you for putting everything together but some painters would want to paint the catches etc. separately.
My opinion only.

Good luck, Joel.

Hi Bill, Due to a front end accident, I had to replace the bonnet on my Ser 2 back in 2015. One of the members came up with, and shared and excellent bonnet cradle which you can safely mount and work on your bonnet. It has dolly casters, is balanced and allows total access to the inside and out.

I copied the instructions and have made my own which has been borrowed by several jag friends to do work on their cars. Look up the subject on the forum, couple of pics attached.

Your body shop will thank you for this as they will be able to do a first class job and the dolly can be wheeled into the paint booth. pix attached, best regards, Brian / Mytype