Question about glovebox lock

I want to re-key the glovebox lock on my Mk2, and my locksmith can’t figure out how to get the tumbler out. Can anyone provide instructions on how to do this?

Thanks.

I believe that the S/420 glovebox lock mechanisms are different, but they are probably similar. There is usually a small hole in the casing (just under 1/16") through which you can push a paperclip. This moves a sprung ring on the barrel which is what retains the barrel in the casing (The casing has a snapring type groove at the end of the bore where the barrel sits).

If you’ve already tried taking the casing apart… this may help:

The lock on the Mk2 has a one piece casing. I see two small holes on either side of the casing, and have tried pushing a pin punch in each to release the barrel. It feels like theres a spring on one side, while the other has no give at all. I’ll continue to work on that strategy in the hope that I can release the barrel.

Great diagram, btw.

Thanks.

It’s been a long time since I took a Mark 2 one apart, but I have done it at least once.

The second hole may be for the case that the barrel is stuck in the “other” position.

I think you need to have the key in the barrel AND use that to twist and pull the barrel (i.e. exerting a “tilt” on the key while pulling) AND depress the ring from the hole where you can feel a spring.

One of the challenges is that a DPO appears to have removed the barrel pins so the lock can be operated without a key. A screwdriver works just fine. I want to have my locksmith install new pins to match the door and boot key.

I’ll figure out how to put some torque on the barrel while depressing the sping.

Thanks.

Just wanted to close the loop on this topic. I was unable to get the lock barrel free. I never liked having to use a key to open the glovebox, so this provided the opportunity to do something about that.

I found a knurled chrome guitar volume knob that attaches to a piece of brass rod via a set screw. It looks appropriate to the interior. I have it mounted on a key blank to create the alternative shown in the picture. The blank is a tight fit in the lock, so it won’t fall out on its own.

Not original, but I like the way it looks, and it was kinda fun to fabricate.

It’s different , but I like to lock my sweets away lol :sunglasses:

I turned a brass insert to replace the barrel. Gave me an excuse to use my then new knurling tool.

Very nice. I like the lower profile. Unfortunately I was constrained to whats available off the shelf.

You might want to make some of these and post them for sale. I do like the fit and style.

Gerard
Loveland, CO 80537