Question of the day-what will happen to our cars?

A little research shows that Jaguar made a little over 90,000 XK-8’s and if they become rare and desirable, what can we expect in the way of a return on our investment? Like their predecessors, the E-Type, will they reach those kinds of prices in 20 years? They are cheap now, and maybe it is time to start the hoarding process.

I’d say look at the xjs prices from 10yrs ago to now. Granted some people still get awesome deals, and those that still think they’re only worth a couple hundred bucks! Probably how it’ll go for the xk8s

The XJS is not a good barometer as they are going for anything from giveaway to ridiculous prices, at least in the ‘asking’ stage. I bought my 1992 for $500 and all it needs is paint and brakes. Many have the Chevy conversion, and already there are kits for the XK8 and the LS engines. Even 6-speed manual transmissions… I still remember my E-type days of the eighties and the $600 to $3,000 dollar cars.

3 Likes

Yes I was going to throw in the etypes of the 80s to early 90s, but decided not to. Apart from looking at other models in the series of the xk8, how do you suggest seeing how values will progress?

I don’t see them rising any time soon, and am just as pessimistic about the future. They are essentially an XJ6 rebody, like the XJS, and not the car the ‘E’ was from a purely ‘sports car’ approach. The new ‘F’ won’t make the cut either.

I think it’s dangerous to think of cars as investments. Almost all drop in value over time. The E-type was a once-in-a-lifetime exception, and even then only some sub-models (e.g. S1 OTS) have proven to be decent investments overall, when you calculate the rate of return over the long run.

I love my XK8, and think it might not do as badly over the long run as most cars. But it’s just a car, and it keeps costing me money.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho
E-type S2 FHC, Xk8, and other old Brit stuff

1 Like

Yes, I agree; they are just cars. Some are transportation and some are fun to drive; when they start and run.

I agree, Ive owned them new and used. They are just cars…
I liked and loved them, they are worth a bit above nothing in ten more years.
gtjoey1314

If I may: Rather buy a few Ducati 996. They also take up less space and are easier to move around. Or, for pure investment, buy BRK-B shares. They leave no oil drops in your garages.

I’m not so sure the e-type is the only exception. MkII values have been ridiculous in the last couple of years; cars I bought and sold for sub £200 in the distant past are now asking £40,000 and up. I cannot see why unless it was the exposure the model was given on the UK TV series “Morse”.

I expect if you were to ask the general public (in the UK at least) to name 2 Jaguar models they would come up with E-Type and MkII.

Frankie

1 Like

The XK8 was too popular a product and too many units were sold to make it a future “investment”. At least, not one that will outrun real estate or the stock market (or a good mutual fund.) It’s a testament to the impact of the E-type that they have the value they do while having sold as many as they did.

The only comparable car range I know of is the aircooled 911, but I think that’s also a big bubble since they sold way more 911’s than E-types for a much longer period of time. When 912’s are going for E-type money, then I have to think that market is irrational. We shall see…

But as far as losing money - well, XK8’s are pretty much depreciated now, so if they’re kept in good condition, they probably won’t lose much value and may gain some (offset to an extent of course by the cost of maintenance.)

If you like the XK8’s, then you can buy one, enjoy driving it, and then sell it, getting back most of your cost if not all of it. You will have had to maintain it, but you won’t have taken a massive depreciation hit like you would a new car (that wouldn’t need the same level of maintenance.)

Dave

1 Like