Question on color?

I wonder if there are factory records that document how many cars were originally painted a specific color? Same for interior colors. (I chose option B…interior/ exterior color combo offered for the year of the car). In recent years I’ve noted a rash of gray, silver, and gunmetal paint jobs regardless of factory “standard” offerings.

Here in Blighty we used to have a regularly maintained register of E-Types, called (fanfare!) the E-Type Register. I understand that Data protection rules have caused it to be discontinued, but while it was being prepared the most common colour of new entries onto the register was Red. Signal red. Carmen red. Just plain Red. I’ve seen some metallic reds as well. Most of these were resale Red rather than the original colour. My car included, which, when it came out of the factory was Opalescent Silver Grey.

I have no plans to change the colour back at any time. I like it the way it is even though I didn’t set out to find a red car. Freddie is a red E.

1 Like

I believe I’ve seen those numbers printed somewhere - I suspect in Anders Clausager’s book which would make sense, as being the Jaguar Archivist at the time he had access to all the build ledgers. I don’t have the book to hand at the moment to confirm.

1 Like

Hi,

It’s all in Anders Clausagers book ”Factory Original Jaguar E-type” that I have been quoting for years.

Cheers!

Hi,

I’ve always hated white cars.

Now I have been the custodian of an unrestored (but resprayed) white V12 OTS for almost ten years. I don’t hate it. YMMV.

Live and learn.

Cheers!

My E is “Light Blue”. A color I was not fond of before I bought mine. I almost passed on it because of the color. But it was a quality car at a fair price (which as you know is hard to come by).

The color has grown on me but I’d still prefer dark blue.

2 Likes

Hi,

A friend of mine here in Helsinki has a 1969 OTS also in Light Blue with a dark blue interior. He really likes it. :slight_smile: That car also has a similar registration I got for my first E-type, which was JAG-66, so his is JAG-69. My V12 OTS is JAG-72 and the MKV is JAG-50. Still people ask me at car meets which make and year the cars are. :smiley:
Or maybe it’s just a conversation starter.

Cheers!