Questions about Engine part compatibility in case my 1969 Engine self destructs

I may have opportunity to buy (as a bundle) two spare 1970/71 XJ 6 engines. Condition appears to be that they ran before parking.

I thought it would be good to have a spare block, head, crankshaft and con rods.

Would it be correct that these parts are 100% interchangeable into my engine??

Dennis 69 OTS

Just my opinion, but in my experience once the engine is sorted it is the ancillaries that you will be dealing with (water pump, alternator, ignition, carbs, fuel pump, fans, etc.). Hoses, seals and gaskets are the rest of the typical break-down suspects.

Two complete engines are more space and weight than I could deal with and may not offer much when a problem does occur. But again, just my opinion.

The biggest single potential variation could be long/short stud blocks. My Feb ‘72 XJ6 has a long stud block. Others will know changeover point. Paul

If you are in fear of needing a head, block, crank… then you must have a reason. It would make more sense to me to fix what you’re worried about. In any case, I don’t re-use cranks or con-rods unless they’ve come from the engine I’m working on, or been inspected/re-worked to within an inch of their lives.

My engine is in great condition but I thought it would not hurt to have the spare bits like block, crank, head etc.
My 69 has the long studs as the conversion from short studs happened earlier

If you have the room and pay little $$ for them, maybe. But they’re used parts with an unknown history. You will not be advised to take those parts and use them as-is without reconditioning. It seems you’d be better off reconditioning the engine you have, should the need arrive…

Also, these engines are not rare, so stockpiling them will just provide needed homes for spiders, etc. Should the need arise, you will find the parts you need.

I’d pass.

I’m absolutely with you Dennis. There can be no harm in tucking away a spare block crank and rods. Depending on condition you could even use one of them as an interim engine while rebuilding yours in the future if you need.

I have a spare 4.2 short stud engine from a Mk 10, a 3.8 head and three 4.2 heads as well a a whole load of other smaller parts.

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply

In the past I have found , if you have a spare part tucked away , your never need it , sods law if you give it a way or sale it , your need it , that’s why I have sheds full of crap , oops valuable parts lol :sunglasses:

1 Like