R12 to 134A Conversion

Here it is, modified with new pipe: part number is on the valve.

Part number and refrigerant type are clear from the photo. ā€œModified with new pipeā€, not so much. Please explain.

My expansion valve is for a S1 XJ, totally different from the later 2 and 3 models. I showed the picture because of the post where the person could not be sure of the valve to order due to ā€œOEM specs being quotedā€. My suggestion was to order one and look at itā€¦ newer valves have refrigerant types on themā€¦like mine.

Kirbert,
Are those port adapters you linked ones that you can take off after you charge it or do you leave them on?

The ones I got were intended to be glued on, believe it or not. Yeah, thatā€™s not gonna happen. I did find quite an assortment of adapters available when I shopped, but all were intended to be installed permanently.

In general, there were two types: Ones that utilized the original Schraeder valve in the R12 port, and ones for which youā€™re supposed to remove the Schraeder valve in the R12 port because the adapter has its own valve. Some utilized the original Schraeder valve via a built-in plunger, and at least one was so short it didnā€™t even need a plunger, it just basically fit around the R-12 port and changed its external shape to an R-134a configuration. That idea only works on the fatter of the two R-134a ports, though.

Question. Iā€™m replacing my expansion valve. I got the old one out and I am unable to find an o ring inside the big main nut coming out of the firewall or inside the tube connecting to it. It has a groove on the inside edge that looks like it accepts a o-ring. Is there supposed to be one or is it a compression fitting of some sort? Should all 3 connections have o rings? The new expansion valve only had one tiny o-ring on the small connector and didnā€™t come with any others.

Funnily enough I just did that and got the T shirt, I a manner of speaking

All those connections should have O-rings.

1 Like

Good to know since I already added them. I havenā€™t evacuated the system yet so hopefully it wonā€™t leak. Iā€™m a little concerned about the 2 rubber hoses that have hose clamps on them. Iā€™ve never seen hose clamps used on car A/C hoses. They usually are permanently crimped fittings.

Don,
You are correct. Jaguar did not put hose clamps on any of the A/C hoses that held refrigerant. That was a repair made by someone who didnā€™t want to spend the money on a new or rebuilt hose.

Paul

Iā€™m not sure what type of connection is under the clamp in the background that connects to the muffler on the compressor. I donā€™t think I can get it off without cutting it as the hose is very hard. To replace it do I just need a hose or the whole muffler connection? Note, the copper in the foreground is my mod for the be-cool radiator single inlet which I havenā€™t soldered yet.

If installed correctly, clamps like that are perfectly usable, and, in fact, many cars used that kind of clamp on the AC: that said, not sure if that hose or clamping method works with R134.

Don,
I believe that whoever put that hose on your A/C muffler also cut off the metal fitting on that end of the muffler. The only way to tell is to pull the hose off to be sure.
Attached is a picture of that hose in my wifeā€™s 1990 XJ-S convertible with that fitting circled in yellow.

Paul

Thanks for the picture. I found another picture of an 84 like mine that looks like it has the same hose clamps but they are in the background so kind of hard to see. The hose changed in 89 according to the parts dealers.

Don,
I stand corrected. I see now in my XJ-S Parts Catalogue that hose changed with the 1988 1/2 model year and the illustration show two hose clamps on it just like your first picture.

Paul

Hmmā€¦ I ordered a new hose from rockauto that is supposed to be for my year but the picture shows it with the same screw on connector on both ends. Iā€™m not sure itā€™s going to fit unless I replace the muffler piece.

Those worm screw clamps are made for car A/C hoses. They have that little welded-on tag that established the distance from the end of the hose ā€“ which I guess is important for some reason. I used these type clamps for my own hose replacements on my '83 because I didnā€™t wanna buy a crimper and because I rather liked the idea of a clamp that I could tighten down if it starts leaking. Worked fine. Doesnā€™t look original, but I donā€™t care a whit about such things.

1 Like

And they were original equipment on many GM cars in the sixties, with two types of crimp connectors coming (sequentially) later. There were matching barbs inside the hoses that aligned with the clamp at the prescribed distance set by the little tabs. Once the hose set, you couldnā€™t remove it from the barbā€“had to cut it away.

1 Like

I just completed this conversion but fitted a sanden comp from an xj40.