Radio for 1977 XJ6 coupe series 2

I just bought an xj6c ser 2 model. Love it. It has a non-jaguar radio in it, which will operate the CD function, but not the radio. Antenna was removed. Is there a harness for this model to which I can hitch a new, probably non-Jaguar, radio? It’s really the radio I want, not the cd player (I’m an old man). Lawrence

The existing harness should accommodate any radio, Lawrence, though you may have to change connectors…

But the reason your radio doesn’t work is maybe the lack of an antenna - which of course will be required for the radio replacement. Was the original antenna manual or electric…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thank you for your reply, Frank. The original antenna was exterior metal. It protruded from the top rear of the pass side, pretty close to the tail light. The hole is now covered by a large screwed on washer.

A reasonably modern radio will have a specific connection to run an electric antenna, Lawrence - but you don not have to use that feature…:slight_smile:

However, a radio will still need an antenna - so a first step is certainly to install one…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Oh me, that brings back memories, decades ago!!! My first cars had no radios!!! Or if they did, they did not work!!!

Since then, I’ve installed quite a few. some very simple, others more complex.

Don’t know where on are planet you are. If in the USA, contact David Boger at everydayXJ.
He can probably provide a jaguar radio plus an antenna that fits and works as it did in the factory trim.

The radio “harness” is not complex.

1. Always “hot” wire for the “station settings” memory.

2. Ignition on hot. For normal operation.

3. A larger coaxial cable for the antenna.

4. As many as four speaker wires. + and - for each speaker.

Check the boot f your car. You might find the coaxial cable for the antenna as well as the wire to actuate it.

Circa 56, we used to install radios in our company furnished basic cars. Usually junk yard sourced 6 volt radios to go in to 12 v cars. Resistor or center tap the battery.
Add an antenna and clamp the radio under the dash and we had nose for those long Texas and New Mexico road trips!!! Employer Ok with that as long as we left the antenna in place to plug the hole at trade in time.

Carl

Carl, thanks for your informative (and entertaining) entry. I grew up in Kansas, where we tuned into KOMA in Oklahoma, & Wolfman Jack. I also remember long drives at night to the music of the 60’s.

Also, the radio stuff–I’m on it and your info helps.

I now live in Berlin NH, northern NH. All I want to hear is NH national public radio out of Gorham.

Take care, Lawrence

Lawrence,

SII cars - including the Coupés - had electric aerials at the end of the rear wings. My RHD car has it on the left side - probably LHD cars have them on the right side. Making them protrude automatically was witchcraft in the 70s, common in the 90s and is surprising today, that every car uses aerials installed in the windscreens. A very nice side effect is that it replaces a rear view camera in that you’ll be able back up your car precisely by the inch.

Start with that and then get a period car stereo. Your car should have two front door speakers. Most period stereo head units will power them adequately. Not the Met sound experience, but sufficient for a time warp.

In Europe SII cars used Radiomobile, Clarion and top-of-line Philips RC units. Early SIII cars had Alpine units. I don’t know which units were fitted to US cars.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Jochen, thanks! I’ll get on to it soon. Lawrence