Radio removal from XJ6 Ser 3?

1984 XJ6 Ser 3, US spec

I need to replace my stock radio. How do I remove it to put in a newer radio?

In mine the radio was mounted with rivets, accessible if you remove the Climate Control fascia.
Pull the CC knobs and you will see the fasteners underneath.
Be careful with the fiber optic lines.

Stuart,
I recommend that you check the Jag-Lovers archives for information about “radio removal”.
I have been on Jag-Lovers for 22 years and pretty much everything that can be discussed about these cars has been discussed many times over, including radio removal.
The first thing that I do when tackling a new project in our Jaguars is check the Jag-Lovers archives. It is the quickest and easiest way that I know of to get decades of filtered knowledge about these cars within a minute. I am often rewarded with dozens of posts with all that I need to proceed. Some posts are quite detailed, and often alternative approaches are suggested for many tasks.

Paul

A couple details might be missing but here’s the gist.

Remove trip computer. It just wriggles out.
Remove climate control knobs.
Remove nuts under the climate control knobs.
Pull small black surround panel away from the radio.
Remove two upward-facing screws from the switch panel.
Wriggle switch panel downwards and away to reveal radio mounting.

You might have to remove the ski slope panel (around the gearshift) as well, if it overlaps the switch panel

As Paul says, the archives will have something more detailed…probably from 20 years ago !

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Did that. I found some posts, but together they didn’t have all the info I needed.

“Pull small black surround panel away from the radio”

It looks like the face of my radio is one piece. What am I missing?

I’ll try to be more clear.

This is the panel that sits directly behind the climate control knobs. It has the markings for the controls. Item #1 in this illustration

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/part/id/C06.C0659.C0659303.C06593033516/brand/jaguar/

Cheers
DD

Doug, thank you for this drawing. Very helpful.

One thing is still not clear to me. Does the knob pull off the air-selector below the radio to remove the panel or does the whole assembly move with the radio panel.

The entire sliding temp control stays intact. It is a slide-fit onto the panel and may come loose from the panel…or not. Doesn’t matter; you’ll just shift the panel out of the way as you do your radio removal. If the temp control comes free of the panel you’ll see how it goes back into place. It’ll be very obvious once you dig in a bit

Cheers
DD