Ray’s EDIS and AC kit on a '64 3.8 S1

Not my day. Not only does it appear I have the wrong compressor, but it look like the new Retro-Air tension pulley and Ray’s crank pick-up want to be in the same spot. I have a dim memory of somebody finding a work-around but can’t find it in a search.

Help.
BrianM

I have a 3.8 Retro Air kit installed. Haven’t seen an EDIS work around for the “drive” pulley in the archives.

If you figure one out come back and share. I have an EDIS and have been threatening for years to install an AC. I would think that the workaround would be to build a tensioner that fits in the original spot on the the left side.

I looked at that, but I think I have a solution. I’m going to
give it a go this week-end.

Stand by.

I have EDIS on a 3.8 Mk2 engine and mounted the trigger wheel on the backside of the crank pulley. I took a stock trigger wheel (can look up size if needed) to a machinist and had him cut out a hole to slip onto the taper of the backside of the pulley. He also machined a flat into the pulley itself so it fits snugly. Got it positioned and welded it in place. Attached photo is before it was painted.

Tom

…ummmm… you going to rotate that lock tab to actually lock a couple of bolts?
LLoyd

A step backward, after making a wrong turn, is a step in the right direction.

Kurt Vonnegut

Or at least locks itself :wink:

No, I figured I’d leave it like that to see if it would work…testing Erica’s theory :slight_smile:

For those of you concerned…it was a trial fit for the pulley. Lock tab was replaced with a new one and properly installed after the pulley was painted.

One thing I like about this set-up is you still have access to the crank bolt. Ray’s set up covers the bolt head.
I wonder if it’s safe/smart to drill/cut a hole though the trigger wheel to expose the bolt?

That’s one of the reasons I did it that way. Ultimately I couldn’t find a direct bolt-on solution, so I was left to engineer what I thought was best. I also positioned the VR sensor on the inside of the fan belt loop so I can change a belt without taking off the sensor. The only issue I have (which I may fix before the engine goes back into the car…it’s currently on a test stand) is some minor interference between the generator and the VR sensor bracket when trying to put a belt on. Once the belt is on it’s not an issue, but when trying to create slack to install a belt it falls just a little short. I had to remove the fan and water pump pulley to slip it on. No big deal when doing this in the shop…but would be a bit of a struggle on the road.

Regarding your question --with a bolt-on trigger wheel, having a hole large enough to access the bolt shouldn’t be an issue. Most that I’ve seen do this.

OK, I think I’ve got it. The key was the AC compressor, it came with two pulleys, which is the type they provide in the kit now. So, I made a new bracket for their idler pulley and moved it up, adding a second belt to run the Alternator.