Re-furbished seats

Many years ago when I bought my car I refurbished the seats using a kit that contained some sort of ammonia based cleaner, I believe, and they looked fine until all the stitching started coming apart. Of course, I found out that this stuff is known to rot the stitching, after I used it.

Very disappointing.

I took a seat squab to a so called upholsterer for it to be re-stitched and he made a complete balls of it. Dreadful, really dreadful. Made me lose interest in the car to be honest.

Anyway after 2 to 3 years searching on Ebay I found a complete set of seats and the bids went up to a massive £70…won by me.

They were very faded but all the foams and stitching were in great condition.

So I refurbished them using Gliptone this time with which I am quite happy.

Seat

I recovered the backs of the seats with some of the grey woolcloth I had left over from the headlining. I know it should be brown really but I didn’t fancy spending any more money because smartening this car up is costing way more than I ever thought it would.

Seatback

Dave

Would you have any help comments of how the center sections of these seats
are held down , pictures would be even better.
Thanks,
Walter

Walter,

I,m afraid I don’t have any pictures of that but I did have the covers off and I can tell you that the cover is held down to the foam by two strips of contact adhesive on either side of the fluted section of the cover.

I managed to remove them by unclipping the cover at the back and carefully cutting through the adhesive with a large carving knife.

Hope that helps.

Dave