Rear bumper Euro conversion

Beautiful car!
I really love it without the over riders, well done :slight_smile:

And so, I finally unwrapped the ā€œone-piece S1 bumperā€ I bought 2 years ago and stored awayā€¦ Well, it turns out that it is not what the seller said it was. It is just a good old Euro style S2 bumper, 3 piecesā€¦ Much ado about nothing. Thank you Mr ā€œthejaguruā€ā€¦

So I trial fitted the bumper andā€¦ the holes in the brackets fall about on inch away from threaded rodsā€¦ Noone said this would be easy right? :slight_smile:

From memory, the rear mount is your fixed point and you adjust the slotted side brackets to fit. I would have thought a one piece bumper package would be markedly different to a blade and two side pieces. If it has been mailed in an ā€˜assembledā€™ state it may be bent/distorted?

It was shipped assembled as one piece, at great cost, all wrapped up. I opened the package today onlyā€¦ Ah wellā€¦

The rear brackets are welded to each side piece (it looks factory), there is no wiggle room, this is gonna be fun :slight_smile:

And i just detest these bulbous overidersā€¦

The side brackts are fixed to the body vial slotted holes so the bracket itself can be adjusted for a fixed hole side piece.

Eric,

I looks like youā€™ve got a SI three-piece bumper. It has the mounting brackets right behind the bumper.

SII three-piece bumpers sport a round mounting located about one inch underneath the bumper level and fitting over the bumper mountings:

(sorry, only conclusive pic I could find)

Iā€™m very surprised though that Jaguar obviously changed an integral part like the bumper mountings from SI to SII.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

May have been a result of the new legislation that also dictated bumper height and hideousness, the impact absorbers must have dictated the new position.

vs

1 Like

Iā€™m quite sure Jaguar did it gladly, Jochen - it was likely forced on them, as David impliesā€¦

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Just curious ! My dead center distance betyeen the two attach points on ā€œmyā€ car is 36.5 Inches. Off by just a bit matching either of the two large holes on the tab provided on the Asian bumpers, but workable. Is that measurement consistent with other XJā€™s ?