Rear caliper series 2

Im looking for some help replacing the outer seal on my rear calipers. Im guessing I put the seal in the groves on the caliper first and then try to press the piston thru… Im not having much luck. The caliper i have has the line running from one 1/2 to the other so im guessing i can split the caliper… which would be alittle easier to work with… but it does seem awful tight to get the piston in the rubber…

any instructions or videos would be great

thank you
jp

Yes, simply split the caliper. Unlike the front calipers there is no square shaped seal between the two halves.
Clean the grooves real well, silicone grease things, install the seal in the caliper and then work the piston through the seal. On my new pistons the top groove was slightly too narrow for the seal to fully drop in. I needed to machine this groove slightly wider otherwise the rubber simply wouldn’t stay put.

One trick I use is to placed the piston on the seal and then apply a small amount of compressed air into the caliper which tries to escape by ballooning the seal around the piston, take a bit of practice.

That is how I have always done Triumphs, have yet to have the need for the E-Type.

My wife runs the air so I have both hands free to coax the boot into place. First time can take several minutes but soon you get your time down to a couple of seconds.

Thank you all… the compressed air and splitting the caliper worked perfect…

ALL good…!!

jp

1 Like