Rear Door Seals

Greetings,

Recently repainted our Series III and went to reinstall the doors. Prior to installation, I reinstalled new door seals by URO. These aftermarket seals are not consistently pliable. The original door seals have a “hollow core” that compresses when the door is closed. Right around the “elbow” of the upper windows these URO seals are not “hollow core” but become hard rubber. As a result, the doors will close, but it takes a bit more effort and is not a good quality fit. Did I just happen on to a “bad batch” run? Have checked the archives but could find no recent information on door seal vendors. Does anyone have up to date contact information for a vendor distributing good quality door seals, non-URO which you would recommend?

Thank you,
John Bowes
KANSAS

Probably not a ‘bad batch’ situation. URO has an iffy reputation. And, truthfully, complaints about the fit and quality of aftermarket door seals are nothing new and pre-date the predominance (and possibly the existence) of URO brand parts.

No suggestions on a better alternative, though, sorry.

I presume you’ve checked and determined that genuine Jaguar replacements are NLA

Cheers
DD

I have a set of those seals that I haven’t fitted I’ll check and get back to you. I don’t have them handy their in my storage unit along with a bunch of other jag parts.

this post caught my eye because of the URO seals; and the fact that I’ve two enough of these seals to do to Series III’s and would be pissed if they didn’t seal properly or made the door hard to close.

Thanx for the post
Mark

You are lucky they even fit…on S1 because they are SWB, the rear door seals are much too long and have be cut and joined together with RTV…

2 Likes

I also have one of these, for the LH rear door, with two problems. The first is what you experience; the upper forward edge is made of solid foam or what it is. The other issue is that the seal tends to „roll“ away instead of rubbing further to the front when closing the door, and this makes it hard to close. I taped it forward and greased everything and after a few weeks it was better, but not good. Sadly. Fit was good though, lengthwise. I don’t know how Jaguar did it…

David

1 Like

Thank you Gentlemen for enduring the pains and frustrations of a task that is next on my list of things to do. Not once, Not twice, but for times! each of my Xj’s need new rubbers. I’ll keep this post in mind.

Thank you in advance
Mark