Rear hub removal...again

Hi All…XK150…continuing with the refurb so on to the rear hubs…read up lots of old posts so no supprises when the hub puller just wasnt up to the job…so decided only option was to remove the hub with the axel shaft…remove the bolts on the axel tube flange…to hold the head of the bolts i drilled and slotted a hole in the disc so i could get a spanner in place…fairly straight forward but one of the nuts had the grease nipple/zerk in the way…very difficult to remove it…rigged up an old spinner and a slide hammer…one side came off reasonably quickly…the other side took a lot of hammering but finally let go…can now get the hubs/shafts in the press with some heat…question …will the hubs still be usable if i have to use lots of heat…or should i go for replacements…thanks…Steve

find a jeep guy that does Dana axles…they do this between sips of coffee…Nick

Hi Nick…jeep guys arnt that common in the UK…will put them in my press and get some heat on them…will keep you posted…Steve

I replaced both the hubs and disks. They were not very expensive, and it’s an area where I didn’t want to take any chances.

Quick update…20ton home diy press and a map gas torch applying heat to outside of hub whilst applying pressure and they let go with a bang…question on reassembly…did your hubs go back onto the taper shafts easily…or did they need pressing on…thanks…Steve

The properly torqued nut will do the job with ease. I would put a little anti-seize on the taper.

2 Likes