Rear main seal fitting?

How hard should it be to turn the crankshaft after the new rope seal is fitted ? I’m seeing a constant 30 lb./ft. on a torque wrench while turning the damper nut .
4.2 liter. I soaked the seals in oil and used the Churchill tool to size them which was pretty straightforward though no instructions to mention a finished tension .
Any thoughts?
Kevin

So long as you greased the seal itself, that sounds a little high, but probably fine.

Thanks for the reply ! I’m sure it will loosen up over the next few days as the seal deforms more.

Mine was impossible to turn by hand by the damper and 14000 km later it’s still doing great!

1 Like

30 lb/ft sounds about right even if it is that much more than the torque required to turn the crank in the main bearings which can be substantial with new bearings depending on the lube used.

I remember mine being pretty firm. It was also sized with the Churchill mandrill. I don’t understand why though. I thought the whole idea was that it would create the tiniest gap between the scroll and the rope measured in thousandths. Perhaps there are minute differences in scroll size or tool size or maybe rope length.