Rear Shock/bushing arrangement on the late cars - MOD

I have the very late rear suspension on my 94, so replacement shocks (I have to buy X300 rear shocks) don’t come with the usual upper bushings and spacers you’d find on earlier replacement shocks.
Problem is, even though the shock absorbers and lower arms are X300 style, Jaguar retained the pre 94 MY upper plate design which doesn’t play nicely with X300 style shocks.

Here’s the X300 style upper plate; as you can see, a metal “cup” is spot welded to the underside. This “cup” retains and aligns the lower shock bushing eliminating the need for the XJ40 style “top hat” bushing. The metal spacer that sits inside this lower bushing is also different, much fatter than on the strut style units.

I did rear shocks about 10 years ago and I’m about to do them again but this time I have access to a press -so I’m going to make these metal cups and weld them to the existing upper plate.
OEM X300 upper plates, MNC3470AA are ridiculously priced (even used), so acquiring those just isn’t happening. I’m also colouring outside the lines this time and replacing my ultra pricey Bilsteins with a pair of extra cheapo Sensens. (US$62/pair) :grinning:
I managed to find a pair of NOS OEM MMD3565AA donuts pretty reasonably too. (US$55/pair)

Parts should be here next week.

1 Like