Rear shocks 1987

happy new year guys…I’m struggling with a problem with the rear suspension, basically when I bought the car 5 years ago it was clear that the suspension was weak but when I hit a bump at speed I didn’t touch the tyre. after a year I started to hear this scraping noise on the tire and I decided to put new suspensions…the situation improved but still when I hit a bump at 50 km/h in the city…I hear this ugly scraping on the tyre. the mechanic will review the situation on January 15th but obviously asks me for measurements…heights…distances…if there are factory shims or possibly have them manufactured…do you have any news on the matter?

guys…is it possible that no one has ever had a problem with the trim being too low? or are you all still in Christmas celebrations?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Happy New Year Max.
If the rear end of the car is sagging, usually the spring insulator is the culprit. It’s disintegrating. Or the coil spring might be getting tired and lost it’s original height.

1 Like

thanks Joe, could you give me an overview of how to identify these 2 components so that I can already provide the mechanic with some information?..are there any heights to respect or measurements to indicate to him? maybe with some shims I can solve the problem…or maybe some adjustments can be made.

Max, the spring insulator sits on top of the rear spring. If it’s falling out in pieces then they have to be replaced.
I don’t know how tall the rear springs are. Maybe someone has measured them before?

dovrebbe essere il componente numero 5 di questo schema giusto?

Yes. These. well not these actual ones, I just bought them LOL

Does the car have the self leveling rear struts? If so, it’s time to punt the same and install the taller coils (or shims) with a traditional shock.

They get really rear droopy when the system fails.