Rear shocks 1994 xj40

Rear shocks 1994 xj40

What about them???

Robin, our cars have them. Don’t you know that?

Has anyone tried to replace the rear shocks and coil springs with coilover shocks?

Has anyone tried to replace the rear shocke and coil springs with after market coil over shocks?
I have been having problems navigating this site so please bear with me. I apologize.

Yes Joe, I am pretty much aware of them. They are the little things in the back that make all the clunking noise when I go over a bump, right? lol
My ststement was intended to be a new topic but somehow it appeared in the comments.
Sorry.
But, assuming i’m in the right place now, I thought about replacing the shocks and coil springs with adjustable coil over shocks.
Thanks for any and all replys.
And happy holidays to all and yours.

Not that I am aware of, what is your reason for wanting to replace the existing shock, the noise due to the bushings having perished?
And the last versions of the XJ40 had a hybrid rear set up XJ40/X300 so that might be something to ponder.

1 Like

Gary …

The rear shock absorber system works fine, the problem is that the bushings aren’t long lasting. The gotcha is that you can’t check the bushings unless you remove the shock assembly and disassemble it (which involves having to compress that big spring).

A lot of the problems on the earlier XJ40’s came from people replacing the self leveling shocks but not replacing the SLS springs and upper strut support (top hat). This caused the rear end to sag and the bushings to wear out pretty quickly. I’m fairly certain they had eliminated the SLS by your '94 model.

On the 94, The rear spring set up is different (no need to compress as it isn’t sitting on the shock body) but you still have to remove the unit to replace the bushings. Good video on doing that on youtube plus excellent way to eliminate spring compressors.

Gary, it’s all good. I was just joking. I hope you’ll fix this issue easy.

Larry, the rear suspension system transitioned from the “XJ40 style” (lower spring seat on the shock body) to the “X300 style” during the 1994 model year. My car, a 9/93 build with VIN 689540, has the XJ40 style:

IIRC your '94 is a later build.

ok on the 94-1/2 year then

My reason for wanting the change is to eliminate the need to remove the coil spring in order replace the rear shocke and/or upper shock bushings, also, rhe coil spring seats and bushings, etc. are expensive if you can find them

My vin is 698893
I replaced the rear shocks and bushings about 6 years ago and now the upper bushings are clunking again. The last time I had to modify the coil spring compressor to fit it in the tight space.
I am resisting doing anything until I explore all possible options to eliminate that stock coil spring. I see them on t.v. installing coilover shocks on large off road vehicals. I think the ease of future service offsets the added expence now.

Thanks for that info. I will do a searck on utube for that and otbers.

My service and parts manual does not show me anthing about the x300 rear suspension. I will see what I can find on line that might inspire me.
Thanks for your reply.

You don’t have to search for a video, you can just click the video in the link I posted.
BTW, according to your VIN you have the late 1994 arrangement AKA “the X300” rear suspension. If you undo the 4 bolts under the diff (as shown in the video) the arm can be pulled down low enough to remove the shock assembly without using spring compressors.
I modified spring compressors too when I first did the job but after watching the technique described in the video I was able to remove the units without. Also, I didn’t disassemble the unit on the car as in the video. By orienting the assembly “just right” the shock and spring can be removed as a whole.
One thing perhaps missing in the demonstration was the use of a short socket extension or rod pushed through the spring and the shock eye once the shock has been compressed enough to clear the spring seat. After that, just wriggle the assembly out.

Thank you for your reply, it was quite informative.
That explains why, when I replaced my shocks several years ago, the 1994s xj6 I ordered and received had to be exchange for 1995s.
I will show the video to my mechanic. He may be more inclined to tackle the shocks again once he sees how it’s done without the spring compressor.
Again, my thanks to everyone for your replys and a happy holiday to all.

Hey I’ve been having same issues with my XJ40 rear suspension. Snapped 3 shocks in 2000klms once I’ve worked out how to drop in a photo you’ll see hopefully someone will know what I’ve been doing wrong