Rear shocks and sagging rear end

Thanks, yeah, I would rather have the Bilsteins, I prefer the stiffness, and will get used to it, I have on my other car. I’ve tried the Boge on my Volvos, too soft for my taste. I know Bilsteins tend to raise car an extra 1/2", but eventually I’ll get lowering springs.

I will def check those other suspension parts when I have time.

Greg, You should have the rear suspension up in the air so you can check for looseness in the half shafts or hubs. The geometry is such that the tire should never hit the wheel well as it travels up and down. The universal joints on the half shaft keep the wheel in line so if they are worn the wheel can move in and out at the top. Grab the tire top and bottom to check for excess play.

Greg,

I have a full set of stock rear shocks with springs on them from my 88 XJ-s. I removed them due to fully restoring and upgrading my IRS and adding Bilsteins and rear anti sway bar. They were fine when I pulled them off. Make me an offer for the complete set. I’d like to see some one get the balance of life out of them.

Stephen

I appreciate the offer, but I’m tight for funds right now. I will have to address my suspension in late June.

Need to address wat is happening first. Then move to why that is. and then only to a fix.

What: Up hill, car weight shifts rearward. Tail goes down. Accelerate. Torque lifts chassis on one side.

Add the two and if there is not enough "clearance, a tire sill contact tin.

The coil overs do not do that. Well, sorta as the swing arms react to movement.

But, more so the relation of the suspension cage to the chassis changes if the “connections” are loose or busted.

Carl

1 Like

I checked tires. Inflated all to 37, they were in mid 30s, but the tire that rubbed was only 21.

Test drove again, tire didn’t rub this time with fully inflated tire. Will still check out rear suspension in time.

There is a bump stop, that would take any excess travel before the tyre hits anything as others have said here many times.

Have been away a few weeks, finally got back to the car. All four rear subframe mounts look excellent. I haven’t had the tire rub since I inflated it, car has been driving well So I’m assuming the sag is shock related, and when the suspension is under stress it was causing this rub with a bulging low tire.