Rear shocks and sagging rear end

Did a wider test drive, three 1/2 mile laps around neighborhood. Discovered when accelerating up steep hill, right rear tire rubs enough with the wheel well to create smoke!

I knew the rear shocks were bad, but now I need to replace them. Car only has 48000 miles, I’ve never had springs go soft so early. Do rear springs last on these cars? I’d like to leave radius arms alone too. One day I’ll drop rear cage and rebuild/replace everything when I have the money.

I’m going for Bilstein. Job looks relatively simple. I assume that’s all I need to buy? Can i reuse bolts?

Thanks

Rear tires rub against where ?
They should not , in any circumstances, even with dead shocks.
Something doesn’t sound right.

Aristides

Exactly correct. Forget about shocks for now, you need to figure out what’s wrong with your suspension.

Radius arm detached?

Perhaps the rubber mounts between cage and body have collapsed or are broken.

Gordon

1 Like

The rear sags tiny bit, there is only 1" clearance between tire and wheel well. When pushing rear end down, it bounces a bit, enough to close that gap. This is why I thought it must be shocks. Perhaps the coils are worn too?

Sounds like you have either larger than spec tires on the car or wheels with larger offset…or both. Shocks won’t cause the car to sag…that’s springs. Even gas shocks are only charged with small pressure to keep the fluid in the correct location.

The tires/wheels are Original spec. Then it sounds like new springs/shocks are in order?

Are XJS rear springs known to sag early?

I doubt it but they are easily replaced if you have to.

While you are in there, I would check the IRS cage-to-body mounts. I had one on my XJ6 that was squished really thin. They can be replaced, with care, without removing the whole cage from the car.

David

Are these the mounts you are talking about? Four, correct?

Saw an old posting by Kirby: " IOW, if all
four shocks have lost their gas charge, the rear end will sag by an inch."

If tires and wheels are original then the rear cage has shifted to the right thus comprising the right rear tire. As others have said, shocks and or springs are now not paramount. Finding out and fixing the rear suspension alignment is.

Correct, but before you start throwing parts in you should find what is wrong and why.

Best,
Aristides

I read that string about shocks providing 1" lift. Maybe so…there are four of them. Still, the gas shocks I’ve used on other cars don’t take all that much force to overcome. I think I’d buy the shocks first and make an assessment as to how much force it takes to make one move.

The entire rear sags about 1" I would say, the car angle is telling. Wasn’t as bad when I bought car, but gas tank was near empty. Now it’s half full.

Both tires have just under 1" of clearance with wheel well. Only reason right rubs and not left, right front bushings/ball joints are shot, so there’s a slight lean of the car to the right.

I will inspect the four cage mounts. Since I ultimately want Bilstein in the rear, I’ll try replacing just the shocks. Looks super easy for me, I’ve done tons of struts in fwd cars.

Yes. Part CAC3067 on my 1978 XJ6L.

David

OK, that doesn’t sound right either. Bushings and ball joints will make things sloppy but shouldn’t sag.

Greg,
The XJ-S Repair Operations Manual has a procedure for measuring ride height and it has nothing to do with wheel wells. The front and rear ride height measurements are taken between the ground and the subframes with properly serviced tires and with a specific load of fuel.

Measuring wheel wells might lead you down the wrong path.

Paul

I’m sure I need a whole front and rear suspension renewal. As I’ve recently dumped a bit of $$$ just getting her running, I’ll have to be happy with just driving her around the block and doing tiny restoration until I can save up a bit of $$$.

Rear springs are hit or miss. I bought 2 different sets and placed them with the Bilstein shocks. Both sets jacked the back end up WAY to high.

I ended up using the original springs with 1 spacer to get the desired ground clearance of I believe 7 inches from plate to ground.

I think the Bilstein is a bit stiffer than the Boge and if you want the magic carpet ride, I’d suggest the Boge over the Bilstein. I’d still check the 4 mounts and radius arms before changing shocks.

Gordon