Rear spring and shock disassembly

Any tips or tricks aside from PB blaster and heat to separate the collet from the shock body/perch? There doesn’t seem to be a good way to get a whack at it.

wow, that’s rusted! I was able to simply hammer mine out with a screwdriver…

wonder if that spring compressor could be placed on the collet to pull d iwn on it a few mm to break it loose?

Jim, the shown in the OP spring compressors are not suitable for the small diameter coils of the XJS.

This is a much better (and SAFER) approach:

1 Like

I used my normal spring compressors for my rear coils, and they will work. Only issue - there is barely any clearance for the shocks. I ended up scratching a bit of paint off my new ones getting them in.
Oh, and yeah, you have to pretty much compress as far as your compressor will go to relieve the tension.

Next time, I will do what Steve suggests.

I was just thinking out loud to try to help OP break the collet and spring rust.
I definitely would go with heavy duty compressor tool if I were to be compressing my springs. Heck, at this point in my life I would most likely be paying to have it done.

Well considering the new Bilsteins came with new collets, I’m pretty sure a cutting wheel is likely to be my next step.

1 Like

My normal spring compressors have not failed me with a number of rear shock replacements. They have a narrower head than those in the picture and don’t touch the shock itself.

I’ve also come across some sticky collets. Once the compression tool is properly secured, a whack with a BFH has always done the trick.

You see that Post #4 by sbobev? Take a look what that genius is showing you and do that.

I tried to use some spring compressors, and I would have mangled up the coating on them in two seconds. The coils are too thin, and the spacing is just small enough to make it very difficult.

The two rotor idea is pure brilliance. You’ll need to buy three pieces of…3/8" all-thread, and six matching nuts with six matching washers, and you’re in business. Used rotors are everywhere. Every garage has them out back in a bin for scrap. Borrow two, I’m sure they wont mind.

This is the mistake I was making. Once I compressed the spring quite a bit more, a few whacks with a BFG loosened it right up. Thanks for the help guys!

Success! Thanks for the help guys!

1 Like

Now, see, what would have made that photo better would have been to go to the fridge and get some ketchup and spatter a few drops on the floor.

1 Like

The Koni Yellows made a big difference in my handling, but the rear end still feels a bit ‘heavy’ at high speeds (70mph +)

You may want to figure out how to get a rear anti-sway bar in there.

Definitely on the list. But first roadworthy. Then stripped and caged. Then reliable under track conditions. Then we worry about being faster. :smile: