Rear Tie plate in aluminum, Canter

I decided to ask Wayne in a new thread as I felt it would be good info for others looking for a similar option. I hope this is ok and not violating any site rules, idk.
Hi Wayne, in this thread you posted a pic of an aluminum rear tie plate that you made. Did you cut that yourself or did you have it laser or waterjet cut? If the latter would you have a cad drawing you could share? Also, how has it held up so far, do you use it to jack up the rear of the car?
Thanks,
Bill

I can’t answer your ? on how well the aluminum plate works since I haven’t used it yet, however I see no reason to think it want work. The plate is 11/32 thick solid aluminum fashioned based on the dimensions of the steel plate. I don’t have a cad file.It was actually cut on a CNC machine by a local machine shop. I took the original tie plate to the shop and asked if he could duplicate the plate in solid aluminum based on the dimensions of the original. I told him no hurry and couple months later he called and said it was ready.
The only problem that concerned me as to picking the car up with it was the jack slipping off the plate because of the slickness of the aluminum. My answer to that was to make a plate out of 3/4 plate steel that would fit in the oblong hole in the center of the plate then weld it to the cradle on a floor jack so it wouldn’t slip off.

1 Like

Very good Wayne, thanks so much for the info. I suspect most of these are bent to a certain extent on these cars, and they’re tough to bang out straight again, at least mine was. This would be a nice alternative, I may go get a cost on making ten or so in case anyone else would want to do the same. Yours seems to be the only one out there. May also get a cost in stainless steel, maybe a bit thinner.

When I had mine made it cost me $80, which I thought was a fair price. He could of been cutting me some slack Business to Business since I worked on his and his wife’s vehicles several times. Wouldn’t of made any difference since I didn’t ask how much just told him to do it

1 Like