Rear view mirror

Hi
Would a 87 Series 3 XJ6 rear view mirror fit my 77 Series 2 without any modifications?

Not sure, but, I suspect so. A slip in receptacle is usually glued to the glass. Then the mirror has a shoe that fits that receptacle. Pretty much universal, I think…

My jeep just got a new WS. Shoe removed and glued to the new glass. Same mirror. OK !!!

Or, check with David Boger at everydayxj. Many Jaguar parts there.

And hasd done innumerable necropsys on them…
Carl
Crl

Nah. A zinc cast bracket bolted to the roof. A spring loaded plunger in the mirror stem snaps in. Plastic distance piece in between.

Yes, the plunger rusts in place and the diecast bracket gives.

If it’s such a part it probably fits.

David

Kes,

earlier SII cars have elegant and slim rear view mirrors

while later cars have pretty boxy ones with remote control.

I’m fairly sure that the later ones can be replaced easily with SIII mirrors while the earlier ones may need some drilling in the door skin.

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Kes,
Were you asking about the external rear view mirrors mounted on the doors or the internal rear view mirror mounted inside the car?

Paul

You’re right, Paul, I missed that question … Thanks for clarifying!

Jochen

Sorry my question.was phrased wrong… thanks for catching that. I meant the interior mirror

Regards

Kerry

Please excuse any brevity and/or typos in this message as it was sent from my iPhone.

Paul:

That is how I read it. The one in the car.

My Jeep was treated to anew WS !! The “shoe” receptacle removed from the old and glued to the new…

I did not look to see how the one in the Jaguar is affixed…

Carl

Carl,
In an earlier email in this thread David Jauch described the break away Series III interior rear view that is mounted to the metal front windshield frame (not to the glass) mirror pretty well.

I know very little about the Series II cars so I have no idea what their mirror looks like or if the Series III mirror would work. I was hoping that another Series II owner could help Kes with that.

Paul

Sorry, car isn’t around, but the parts catalogue is …

Hope this helps - maybe someone has the corresponding SIII picture to compare.

Best

Jochen

These don’t interchange.

David

Thanks everyone

I’ll find a non corroded series 2 mirror

Regards

Kerry

Please excuse any brevity and/or typos in this message as it was sent from my iPhone.