Rebuild AAV- bulb source

I am new to Jaguar ownership and to this site. My job has been design and production of underwater electric cable and connector systems for about 50 years now which covers a LOT of different technologies. Hobbies include restoring classic autos and fine shotguns.

Recently a '94 XJS has made it’s way into my stable which has needs due mostly to lack of regular maintenance and non use (1000 miles last 12 years). Overall she’s in great shape/ no rust, great body and interior. Clean engine bay with signs of previous maintenance such as new filters and hoses. The engine lopes on warm up so I’ve been intent on basic tune up items.

The auxiliary air valve did not function so is receiving a rebuild. In my continuing search for cheap repair parts, a Behr TX 103 30 bulb was found from which LOOKS correct for the application and specs out as a 30 degree C (86F) opening temp. I will also anodize the sliding aluminum cup which should add greatly to the corrosion resistance, therefore longevity of the valve.
Thanks to Kirby Palm and all the members who have contributed to this forum which enables us to maintain our cars at reasonable prices and to a higher level.

John

3 Likes

Hi Tex and welcome.

Whenever you put the AAV together please post the results.

Welcome , another suggestion is if you have no luck is Jonas , John -John at Jag improvers will either refurbish for you or send you a kit with new components.

You’ve search well :-))

They are indeed the same, here is the post-mortem

The other generic part number to find the bulb is W0133-1630030.
Or, the one used by MB 0012039575

Good luck, opening the AAV is fun project

It will work, it is what I used on mine. Problem is resealing the bulb and retainer. Use John’s kit.

I succeeded in reassembly of the AAV using the TX 103-30 bulb. A stainless sleeve was machined to replace the skirt of the sliding piston. The bulb was centered in the original end piece and RTV’d into place then the original top washer was bonded in place using 2 part epoxy.
The assembled part was hot water tested and began to move at about 125 F and fully closed at 180 F.

1 Like