Recent sale 1990 XJ6, could they be coming up in value?

This low mileage XJ6 recently sold at auction for $6500. A virtual twin right down to color to my car but with 3K less miles.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1990-jaguar-xj-1

When I bought my first XJ40 in 2003 they were still plentiful and so unappreciated. A victim of their own success. A decent one was around £1500 and a minter maybe £2500. I’ve always loved Jaguars and have monitored prices of all models since the 70s .Here in the UK every model from MK2 saloons, S types, XJS, and even E.types have gone through an unloved period of a few years, maybe a decade, before steadily climbing ever upwards in value, I think that’s also the case with XJ40s. They are becoming quite rare here and I’ve seen asking prices for low mileage models as high as £10,000 at some dealers, one dealer has a 22000 miler advertised for £18000. It doesn’t surprise me because they were and always will be fantastic cars to drive and own.

Over here in So Cal, Jaguars from the years 1970 to 1993 are hard to find. Plenty of 1994-2005, with them going at really good prices. My thinking is once a person “sits” inside a Jaguar and sees all the compliments, they fall in love.

2 Likes

A year and a half ago, I paid the princely sum of $8000 for my 1990 Sovereign with 36 K miles. Jaguar folks thought that was too much money but I based my decision on what I was getting for my hard earned cash. When you look at other luxury or near luxury models with less than 40 K miles, regardless of age, you won’t find much. Heck, a high mileage Toyota will cost you that much! When they were new, I thought the XJ40 was a loser compared to the previous Series 1 through 3. Nowadays, the XJ40 looks magnificent compared to pretty much all other cars on the road and my 8 grand doesn’t seem like such a bad deal after all. And it’s certainly much more modern compared to earlier XJs as I can attest to.

1 Like

It’s called getting bitten by a Jaguar bug. Happened to every Jag owner.

1 Like