Recent suspension rebuild, car is jumpy when backing up?

My 60 mark 2 is jumpy when backing up, recently replaced all the bushings,shocks . Tried to let out clutch slow as possible, getting a bumping , jumpy rattle when going in reverse. And a little when first starting out in 1 gear.
Have not put car on lift yet to see is something is loose . Any ideas?

Did you fit adjustable shock absorbers? One cause of you problem might be inadequate damping.

Good morning, , will look into that first thing. Will keep you posted. Thank you

I’d check if the parking brake is not releasing. It might have got hung up if you replaced the bushings on the leaf springs.

1 Like

Will do, waiting on my son to get his drag car off my lift! Thank you.

I do have adjustable shocks, not sure what they are set at but as soon as my lift is free of my sons drag car will get a look . Thanks again

Jack the rear wheels up and see if you can reproduce the fault. I’m with brakes or loose prop bolts?

Which suspension did you repair? Front, rear or both? If rear, new radius arm bushes, new buttons on the front of the springs, seated properly in their channels, ditto central pads? New Panhard Rod bushes properly fitted and adjusted?
Front, new Metalastics? The rear V ones can separate, especially if the car is raised and the full weight of the suspension is hanging off them, front ones can shear, allowing the beam to move up and down at the front according to load ( accel\braking). Antiroll bar bushes?

Does it have a limited slip differential? Did you put the proper additive in the oil for the diff?

1 Like

Check the driveshaft U-joints. Loose joints can cause this problem as can an out of alignment shaft.

1 Like

Thank you for all the advice. Unable to to work on Jag until this weekend. Yes all bushing replaced front and rear, will check all areas, as well as drive shaft u joints . Car had set for many years, not sure we looked at diff oil levels but first my list . Is whining a little. Only have driven 30 miles since getting it engine back in. Thanks again for all your advice. Will keep you posted to my findings.

Checked , u joints, solid
Checked , diff oil , replaced to proper level. Little low
Checked , all suspension to see it seated properly, all new and tight.
Checked, prop bolts , all good
Checked , emergency brake to make sure it was releasing properly, ok
Checked , adjustable shocks, has dial select, 30 adjustments, found that the shocks were set at 0, adjusted them to 10, still chattering, 15, better, 20, seems to be the fix , inadequate damping,
Thanks for all your help.

1 Like

1 Like

George, since it sound like you’ve exhausted every other possibility, I can throw one more into the mix. The only time I ever had a shuddering in reverse, it turned out to be that all of the rubber bits in the rear transmission mount had perished. After I replaced both of the rubber “washers” at each end of the big spring, as well as the central rubber bush, the shuddering stopped. Just a thought…
Good luck,
Jay

1 Like

Thank you
Still a little shutter but not as bad as before adjusting damping on shocks
All mounts are new
But I didn’t check to see if might need tightening

I’d check the bushes on the torque (radius) arms and the rubbers securing the leaf springs.

Is your panhard rod installed correctly? Struggling to see rubber donuts in this photo, also isn’t it normally installed the other way around?
This thread might help…

I’m really surprised damping is the issue, I thought that would only become apparent on the road, not just driving backwards and forwards a little bit, seems more like the motion taking up some slack somewhere and then releasing it, like a dragging brake.
No matter, as long as it is resolved.

Will look closer at the pan rod to make sure it is installed correctly ,
Still some shuttering , working with my mechanic that installed new supension parts to see if the pan rod or mounts are all correct. Thanks again.

Ok, look like the pan rod bushings were not replaced, original to the car, also may be installed backwards, may replace or rebuild. Still digging into all the suggested trouble points. , yes shock adjustment may have helped but there is more to it. Will keep everyone posted to my findings. Thanks again