Recently turned 63 and have owned the same '66 FHC since '73

Having just celebrated my 63rd a few weeks ago I have an observation I’d like to pass along. While in general good health, here are several things I have aged out of doing: I no longer walk 18 holes carrying my bag. Carts work fine. I no longer ski above the tree line. If trees can’t survive at that elevation, I likely won’t either. I’ve just installed the last master cylinder in my E-type I’m ever going to tackle myself. Too much prolonged bending over and crawling around. I did it, it works, I’m done. That said, the refreshed pedal feels awesome!

Anyone like to share what they’ve given up?

Congrats on keeping the car so many years, love that. I’ve given up what you have on the daily drivers. I do virtually nothing to them including oil changes but made the ultimate sacrifice with the E 6 years ago selling the car to a friend. I’d had it for 34 years and at 68. There were multiple reasons for giving up the car, primary was I wanted it to go to someone who coveted it as I did and had the resources to keep it up or make it better and he did. I was downsizing and moving to another state plus many reasons. I had psyched myself up for the departure for at least 5 years before making it happen. As you can see tho the car is gone but not forgotten which is why I’m still here on Jag Lovers.
pauls

3 Likes

I’m 76 and haven’t given up working on the family Jaguar fleet including my '66 E-Type which I’ve owned for 55 years yet. I suppose I just don’t want to turn the car over to some wrench who I am not familiar with and who probably won’t know Jags like I do OR the “expert” will cost too much.

I’ve already promised my 120 to someone who will take good care of it and he’ll probably get the “E” too.

SWMBO will drive the XJ8 till the wheels fall off or more likely till it’s wrecked by some uncaring numbnuts who is driving something far less noble.

It’s just “against my religion” to sublet chores that really only cost time and some modicum of money. I really am tiring of crawling under these things though so we’ll see.

1 Like

I will turn 70 in August, I hope I do not have to give up anything quite yet. Spent too much money on new garage with two post lift. The lift does make working on the car a lot easier. Just replaced my master also and working with the car on lift can be placed at any height so bending over is reduced.
My head was all stuffed up from allergies so here I am on my back with head under dash and about to have a panic attack (can’t breathe) finally was able to pull myself out, not fun!
My hope is that I will not have to pull engine again or mess with torsion bars in the future. The E type I know pretty much in and out and have tackled about everything. My XK8 has no heat or defrost and I just can’t get motivated to fix it, will let the pros do it.
Glenn

2 Likes

71 years old but still can’t bring myself to let someone else work on it. Dick M did my engine of course but that was okay… I wanted it right and ready for the long drives.

Like Glenn, a lift has probably added a few years to the time I can keep up with it.

Still mount my own tires too though I have a much longer lever than what I used to use.

1 Like

I gave up the entire E Type:kissing_closed_eyes:

I was one of the two mechanics the car ever saw: 'rents got it in '65, I sold it in '16.

There is not enough gold-pressed latinum in the Alpha Quadrant for me to ever do another E Type clutch job.

The list of things I can really no longer do is too long and boring to post!

Gosh I feel right at home here.
I’m 64 and still work on my 68 S1 1/2 OTS that I’ve had stewardship of for 44 years. I also do the work on my daily driver, an aging Civic. The only thing I won’t do on the Civic is exhaust work. I’ve slashed my hands enough. The only problem I have is resisting the pull of the internet and all that free stuff that we all download but never admit to. :wink:
Bob

I’ll be 70 in a bit over one month. I’ve given up nothing except smoking and drinking - both 36 years ago.

I’m still out taking care of the yard, chainsawing trees into submission, moving leaves around, etc.

Doing all my own car maintenance on all the vehicles with the exception of front end alignments on everything but the E-type and things I’ve neither the skill nor tools to do - like engine rebuilds. But I wouldn’t have tackled that 30 years ago either.

When you quit doing you start dying and I’d like to think my number isn’t up just yet.

Interesting topic. In my 20’s and 30’s, I primarily used my garage for storage, and would happily crawl around outside on the ground to work on my cars. Thankfully, I am blessed with one of the most benign climates in the world, but there were plenty of occasions where I would work outside in 90-100 degree temps.

Now I’m in my early 40’s, and for the first time, I’m struggling to summon the motivation to go work outside when the weather is anything less than “perfect”. I’ve found the work-around is to allocate garage space, so that I can at least work indoors. In the future, I think the answer will be to continue to add “comforts” to my workspace. I think a 2-post lift will keep my motivation up as I get closer to my 50’s.

I have a neighbor who’s a VERY sprightly 82, and he regularly stops by to egg me on with my projects. I once made a comment about having too many cars, and he got a very pained look on his face, and commented “you’re young, you’ve got plenty of time to finish all these cars!” That comment was both motivational and poignant at the same time, because I realized he’s calculating how much time he has left.

1 Like

sex. :open_mouth:

I am 60 but do notice I am not as flexible anymore especially doing the heavier stuff under the car. Last couple of times I did things like ball joints and control arm bushings left me sore for a couple of days. I have never been keen on suspension work even though I do it since big springs scare me. I might start leaving that to the pros soon. Never done an engine out on an E but if needed may leave that to the pros too since all the torsion bar stuff looks spooky and painful. My garage is not tall or big enough for much of a lift. I have only owned my E for 20 years but still have my first car and have done all the work on it myself since '79.

David
68 E-type FHC

All those in favor raise your, . . uh. . . hands. :smile:

1 Like

I am a couple of years older. Did the clutch master and slave.Car on jack stands. Some blocks under the wheels. Rolling around on concrete is tough. Flushed the brakes later. All good until the last rear shock mount fought back. It’s all fun if everything goes right. Three days to recover.
I have cheapo AC, music, and beer, but a lift would be great! Jag yes…new stuff no.

Wait.

Lemme go take a pill…:disappointed:

1 Like

If you have not done so consider getting a hoist. They are not terribly expensive and even if you do not have enough headroom to walk under the car sitting on a rolling stool under the car works well. I got one 2 years ago and wish I had done it 20 years ago.

Clint Eastwood said it best “ don’t let the old man in”

1 Like

Best present ever given to me by my wife years ago: Workouts with a Trainer!
I can do more work on cars now, approaching 70, than I ever could during the previous decade. I’m into my fifth year of 2-3 days a week workouts. And yes, I do most of the “fleet” maintenance for the family, and enjoy it, like I did in the 1970’s working on my “old” '67 Mustang. Hitting the golf ball farther now, too.

Interesting how the sexes think. If a husband had given the workout program to his wife, It would often be considered an insult. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah, but… men like sleeping indoors.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I will turn 69 this fall and I decided that I have given up on ‘complete’ restorations. I have no desire to do another one. What started this? Looking at a friends recently purchased car yesterday and realizing how much time and effort goes into just deciding which body shop to use, nope, not going to do it again.
As has been mentioned, exercise and a lift have made it possible for me to continue to enjoy my cars, and likely a bit safer. Don’t really want the kids to come over and find me squished under the car because I didn’t take the HF jack stands back for a refund.
Cheers,
LLynn

2 Likes