Recommendations for Dash Camera - High Qual Recording & w/ Front/Rear Cameras

I know this topic changes pretty quickly with the speed of technological advances but I also know there has gotta be some Dash Cam expertise just waiting to be tapped.

We all know how tight the quarters are in E-Types. Mine is an OTS so space is at an even greater premium - as well as mounting options for the rear camera. Remember the SIII has a rear view mirror rod vice a stick-to-the-windscreen option in earlier Series.

Personal preference:

• Small so as to minimize forward visual obstruction
  • Easy to use
  • Easy to mount/install (both forward and aft cameras
  • Fair sized memory storage (or at least the option for a bigger card)

Looking forward to your input

I have one in the XJR and the X type;

Robin

Do you wish you had a rear view camera or do you not miss it?
Any features you wish the camera had now that you’ve had it a while?

Craig

Whatever you get, stay away from the cheapo Chinese ones… they’re junk.

Name brands, like Garmin, are better.

Both the cars have rear sensors although the X is on constantly at present and I ignored the XJR’s whilst backing and managed to ram the right hand exhaust tip into a low retaining wall, now I need to replace the bumper as the hot gasses deformed the area around the exhaust scallop :imp:

D%MN - I hate when THAT happens
Sorry to hear of it. Of all the accidents one can endure in their Jag, the self-imposed has to hurt the worst

I use Blackvue dual cams. Due to the unique nature of te E-Type, I placed the front facing camera behind the rearview mirror so it’s out of my line of sight and the much smaller rear facing camera just above so it is very discreet.

I use this system in lieu of an alarm as if I am out and need to park out of view, I can always check in via my phone.

The image quality is great, my only beef with these cameras is that it’s very difficult to mark footage you want to save. Not a big deal as if something happens you just have to note the time and search, but it’s a feature that could be easier.

1 Like

In the E-type I have a rear view mirror with built in forward cam which has been working pretty well. The mirror is wider than the original so it gives me a better view. It has a rear view cam but I haven’t installed it

I also have a couple of Garmin Drive cameras, one on my wife’s daily BMW and one at the helm of the boat I run. Believe or not the waterways in sofl have become as bad as the roads and CYA is important…. The Garmins are very small and would easily mount in front of the mirror in the E-type.

1 Like

Pascal

Any chance you remember the brand or where you found it??

Craig

In many of the dash cam videos I see on YouTube, many of them have been taken with Garmins. Online chatter is they’re one of the best.

No longer available. It was almost 5 years ago

https://a.co/d/glcXh8G

I asked a coworker who rides a motorcycle and has forward and rear facing cameras what he used. Since it is designed for a motorcycle, it would be designed for exposure to weather although I imagine the cables would have to be extended for installation on a car. He gave me this link INNOVV K5 Dash Cam - RevZilla

This is a bit from left field, but hope it is helpful.

Craig, please bear in mind how the system is powered.

Iirc, if you want hard/permanent wiring, ie not through ciggy lighter, it seems most expect a “modern” ignition switch for functioning of park mode etc and purchase of accessory /OBD port wiring sets.

My final 2 choices were blackvue and thinkware, after reading a lot of amazon reviews. Front and rear (from front windscreen) cameras.no screen. wifi to phone app to view/download.

First bought a $50 cam. Which was useless. There are no do-overs with a dash cam.

Hope that helps

2 Likes

I have an older Blackvie in my Porsche that has the battery assist. I was leery of putting that kind of strain on the E-Type and went with the external battery (still hardwired to the Jag’s). Perfectly adequate, but having lived with both for a few years now, I am thinking of putting the battery assist in the Jag as it’s a better way to go.

I’m very interested in the new Ring car cam, but they don’t seem to offer a solution for older cars. I’m certain there is an ODB port workaround, but haven’t investigated as it’s not really a priority at the moment.

Now that is thinking outside the box.
Thanx