Removing connectors contacts

Hi all,
I need to pass though a hole the wiring loom from the EFI ECU . To do that I want to remove first each contact from the connector to reduce the size to go through this hole before replacing each ones after, and then reconnect the connector the the ECU.
Who knows how to remove the contact from the connector body ?
Thank you for your help.

Michel,
I have successfully removed many broken connectors in my Jaguars and replaced them with good used ones that I harvested from my Jaguar parts cars. It is my opinion that connector manufacturers go out of their way to prevent you from trying to do exactly what you want to do. In our Jaguars there are many kinds, shapes, and sizes of connectors making removal and replacement even more challenging. In some cases specialized tools may be needed for specific connectors. I have figured out how to remove some wires from their connectors without breaking them. Sometimes I will purposely break the old bad connector to remove the wires intact and install a nice used one because it was easier to do that way

For others I decided it was best to just to cut and repair (solder and shrink wrap) the wires in a non obvious location rather than mess with old fragile plastic connectors. I have always found that removing and replacing connectors is more difficult and time consuming than it should be.

Good luck.

Paul

1 Like

I have taken apart many many cinnectors but I would not mess with the ECU plug… many things that could go wrong… If you brake a pin you will be in serious trouble.
I would make the hole big enough for the plug to go through and fabricate a plate to cover the hole.

Can’t a person buy a tool that enables one to push aconnector wire back out of the connector?

Then he could push each wire end / connector back out of the connector and thread the wires through the hole and push/ re-seat the wires/pins into the plastic connector?

I haven’t done this but was wondering if it is a doable thing?

This is from the Bang good site;

1 Like

Great! Thank you all! :+1:
I’ve also found “depenning from connectors” video on Youtube.
I’ve ordered the small tools.

I can vouch for that Paul.
I have a small electronics business and have collected a multitude of connector types over the years.
There are lots of different types of connectors in my XJ-Ss, most I have never seen before in my life.
It is beyond comprehension why Jaguar could not just specify a certain family of connectors to be used by all the various contractors making up looms for them.
The drawback of so many types is they all need different extractor tools to remove the pins. I know from the pain involved that those tools often cost as much as 1000 of the actual connectors.

Interesting that the Motec aftermarket EFI system on the coupe has a connector where you can remove the pins with a very small flat blade screwdriver. Whereas most connector pins have a tang on the stamped body of the pin to lock it, the Motec one has a tang in the plastic moulding which can easily be bent to unlock the pin. That is what I call a clever design. I think it is an AMP/TE CONNECTIVITY product.

Finally, I’ve decided to do my own tool to move the tang and be able to puch the contact out of the connector body.
The first one was a bit hard but here it is, the small modified screw driver is enough to do the job(thank you Richard to propose this way). I’ve moved all the pins from the connector. The cable then goes now through the body panel close from the gearbox because I’ve decided to place the ignition ECU just under the driver sit. Initially it was placed at the front jusst under the dashboard but it was too close from the heat exit.
I’ve been surprised for one pin to get it without doing nothing. I’ll bent the small tang to have a clear “clic” when I will replace it.
Bellow some pictures of the job:

1 Like

Lucky you, Michel.
In 99% of connector designs the tang on the stamped contact engages a solid piece of the connector moulding, and that does not budge. You have to depress the tang on the contact and in close to 99% of designs you need the special tool.

Having a flexible tang in the moulding to release the contact is pretty rare, but a nice touch.

Michel,
Wow! I am very impressed. Great job. Thank you for posting about this success

Paul

Things will look like this after the triming:

I will use velcro tape to keep the ECU on the carpet.

1 Like

Très bien fait Michel !
Aristides

For sure.

That issue exists for me and is not likely to be resolved.

I need to add a pina nd wire to a connector on the PCM of my lump. But, not wanting to screw things up, I delayed !!

Yesterday I was watching You Tube. PM entertainment as I am housebound!! “Watch Wes Work” . a young mechanic in Ohio. A Kawasaki ATV with horribly messed up wires. Connectors a major issue. He had a neat little tool A plastic handle with various “prods” on it. Select the size and probe the connector and release the catch, remove the wire.

Like Michel, only more prods…

Two thumbs up!!!

Carl

1 Like

Yesterday, I’ve make the car running for her first ride since the 70

Yesterday, I’ve make the car running for her first ride since the 70s or 80s!
All seem good except a too far richness of the engine. Sparke plugs are all black and the fuel consumption is hugh in my small can.
1 Like

Yes, you can see the black smoke…
Guess it’s a Mareli engine ? No O² sensors correct the fueling?
Nevertheless, it must have been a very exciting moment !!

BTW, where are you located ? Looks South, like me.

I’m in Brittany in France @40km from the west shore :slight_smile:

The sun left the South and went up North !

Global warming I’m afraid !