Removing Intake manifold of 1969 2+2

I am prepping the engine to remove out the bottom. Got the exhaust side all cleaned up to clear the rails.

Struggling with the intake manifold removal and I can’t find anything in the archives. It cant be this difficult I must be missing something. My problem is accessing the bottom 9 manifold nuts. I have done my share of brail mechanic work but this is something else. With a mirror and multiple wrenches I think I could get them off eventually but not sure how I would get the lock washers and nuts back on. There must be an easier way. The secondary manifold is blocking access. I have removed the carburetors, vacuum tank, oil filter and bottom splash pans but still no clear access.

Thinking removing the secondary intake manifold might be the answer to get decent access. Is that the solution? Is it just held on by the studs that hold the carburetors on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It sucks, i have lift that made it a little better. all the nut from under car.

What I did was to remove the distributor and distributor cap, so that I could stick my arm underneath and positively determine that all the nuts were off the bottom of the manifold.

Success.

IMO if you are removing the intake manifold on Series II, definitely remove the secondary manifold from the primary first. It took 10 minutes to split them. I accessed an archive thread that showed how they were joined together.

I removed the top 4 long studs and removed the 4 nuts from the back. It took 10 minutes. Access to the bottom nine primary manifold nuts is now much more accessible.

Agreed, split the secondary from primary first or remove the distributor and remove it all at once. The first time I split the secondary and primary. Second time I removed the distributor and stretched my arm in with a stubby wrench to remove as a single unit. None are fun, but both doable with a little less skin left in your knuckles.

Jay

2 Likes

You just have to struggle and not get frustrated think of the money :moneybag: your saving
This is the main reason I take the engine out the top all depends on which battles you want to fight . If I was to reassemble a freshly painted car again I’d position the engine and build out around it (I Think) But having not tried it I’m sure it has bogie men I don’t know :man_shrugging:
Cheers

1 Like

The first time is always to learn the tricks and techniques to make it easier the next time. Take your time and walk away and take a deep breath if you get frustrated. And most of all enjoy, it’s why you have the car :wink:.

Jay