Removing the dash panel behind the steering wheel

I have removed and refinished all of the wood in my MK2 except for the dash piece which contains the speedometer and tach. How difficult is it to remove this piece and would I have to drop the steering column to get this large piece of wood out of the car? I found the glove box to be a bit tedious but with care looks beautiful now.

Gerard

It’s a while back, but I think it comes out without dropping the steering column. IIRC there is a metal bridge piece across the bottom of the opening for the steering column that has to come off, but otherwise, with the dash cap off you just lift it up (after disconnecting a bunch of stuff).

Well Gerard, let’s see: first disconnect and remove the speedometer. This will give you access to the two mounts on the left bracket that secures the panel to the chassis. Pull down the central gauge panel that will give you access to two screw heads that must be removed at the right side of the wood panel. There is also a short twisted steady bracket that must be loosened either at the chassis end or the wood fascia end. I think that it is then a matter of disconnecting electrical “stuff” and marking each wire as you do it. Look at my website for pix.

Hope that helps.

Lin

Looks like it will be a piece of cake! One of those projects that I will tell my wife should only take an hour… Thanks Lin for sending me the link to your web page and the array of photos on a PM.

Gerard