Repinning the door hinge

My OTS doors fit ok, once closed. I can lift the open doors 1/4“ rhs and about 5/16“ lhs. So when closing they want to be lifted a bit. I took took one door off today to do a repin, but on the bench no slack at all. How much lift is normal wear? Should I be able to feel the play in the hinge by hand?

Thanks, Martin

Probably but bear in mind that a very small amount of play at the hinge pin is going to be magnified due to the length of the doors.
Can you remove the pin without destroying it? This might show wear in one area.

I can take the pin out, but for what benefit if there is no play detected. I‘ll take it out tommorow and see what shows up.

My driver’s side door was in a similar state though the slop was not apparent when the hinge was removed. I took it to a local machine shop where it was reamed slightly larger and re-pinned ($40).

The machinist does work for two local E-Type restorers and told me that one likes to be able to move the hinge by hand and the other likes it so tight it cannot be moved until the door is on it. I went with the tighter fit.

I could not move it by hand but the door easily operates and closes smoothly.

The moral (perhaps): How the hinge behaves with the door on it (weight and leverage) is bound to be quite different from how the hinge operates when it is loose and worked by hand.

I had a machine shop repin a hinge for me and it did not work out.
There was no free play felt in the hinge (which swung freely) but with door on there was.

I then bought new hinges and they were stiff to actually turn by hand.

If you get a machine shop to repin, they have to come back stiff or there will be free play when you hang the door

69 Coupe

I had one hinge that was too tight as a result of an accident before I bought the car in 73’… Recently, during my restoration process, I took a good look at it and it seemed to be tweaked, besides having a tight pin. I bought a used one on line that stated it would probably need to be re-pinned. When I received it, it was almost impossible to move by hand. I sprayed some PB Blaster on it and it freed up immediately. There is no play in it when off the door and when mounted, no up/down play at all. The other door is the same!

Mark
Murrieta, Ca.

THAT is impressive! !!!

I took out the hinge and put it in the vice. A small amount of play evident. Out with the pin. Ever so light of wear visible. Now either manual ream at home or find a shop.

The shop who did one of mine wanted to ream as little as possible so they ordered pin material just ever so slightly larger than the original. Of course they had to buy 3’ to get a couple of inches but only charged me for what mine needed (nice guy).

Reamed and new pin fitted, sans the welding. The fit is tight, put in not by hand but hammering with a plastic hammer. Will this be to tight?

When I bought new hinges, they were very tight and Hard to turn. But with door hanging on them they will turn easily