Replacing S2 Lumbar Straps

I need to repair or replace the lumbar strap in the seat backs on my Series 2.

I probably would have been better off restretching the old ones or getting something from Ace Hardware, but instead I ordered the kit from XKs.

To save weight, they arrive w/o instructions. Looking at 1/4 of the bits provided suggests that these are what are used at each end’s connection:

I just can’t see how to make use of all that as it is quite different from the original. Also, the straps provided have zero stretch so however tight I can make it is what there is.

Anyone here used this kit &/or think they can decode the parts offered? Thanks!

I’d find some runner sheeting or strips about as thick as your broken original and send that stuff back to XKs. Tell them it’s not fit for purpose.

maybe something from this list would work.

https://www.grainger.com/category/raw-materials/rubber/rubber-sheets-strips-and-rolls

5 Likes

You could go blind trying to assimilate that picture. :crazy_face:

Item pictured above has been returned to XKs with my thoughts.

A pair of these will arrive this afternoon from Amazon:

The black strap itself is 14" long which may be too long but I can easily take up some length with a stitched fold in the middle.

That looks perfect. .

BWAAAAAAHAHAHA!

THAT is a keeper!!!

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Looks like some my early work on google SketchUp…:wink:

1 Like

Please let us know how they work as I am at the same point.

It is installed and looks the part, but it will be awhile before the rest of the seat is together and sat upon.

I cut off the hook portion and rotated the triangular ring a bit:

Length was shortened by about 5" by way of a double fold and heavy stitching:

I am currently stumped about the padding for the seat back (using a foam kit). I may post a separate topic though there are variables (foam v horsehair, different seat kit suppliers) that the issue I have may not have been encountered by those who have done their own.

Hi Geo,
One thing that would concern me is the possibility that you may feel the ‘fold’ since it’s centered in the low of your back, I think I would have just cut the end off and resown it at the end since you’ve demonstrated that you can sew it proficiently. On the seats I’ve done I’ve used either approach and really haven’t noticed a great deal of difference in appearance or comfort. JM2CW
Cheers,
LLynn

Good point, Easily done:

Thanks.

Geo:

What are those straps made of and how stretchy are they? Hard to tell from the pictures.

Geo;
I may be wrong and I don’t remember if my lumbar straps were stretchy or not but I would think they should not stretch much as they are meant to give lumbar support. If they stretched much they would not offer much in the way of support.
My opinion only. And I did pay someone to do the seats as I didn’t think I was good enough to a good job on the seats.

Regards Joel.

Geo
I’m about ready to start this task myself. Did you replace all the O rings in the back? If so, where did you source them?
Thanks
Robert

They appear to be a combination of nylon fiber and rubber cord - they are not as stretchy as a typical round bungee cord. A round bungee will stretch about 2X, these will do 1½X. I made the black part 12 7/8" which is then stretched to 14¼"

The originals in mine had some stretch - they was made from rubber though how tightly it was stretched is unknown as it had broken.

O-rings were all fine so no replacement of those.

I’ve purchased them from SNG before…
Cheers,
LLynn