Reproduction Stainless Bumpers

Lower grille on its way! Thanks for the link, Jochen!
Tony

Wow! That was easy - sorry I didn’t mention I have no experience or relation with the seller; hope it works out satisfactory for you!

In fact, I would have thought that trans-atlantic postage for such a bulky item would kill any deal, but it seems you found a solution. With some elbow grease, polishing compound, a dremel and a few polishing pads the thing will come out more or less like new I guess.

Anyway, if I can offer any further help, just let me know! If you check the part nos., there might also be the hinges for sale (I found some for SIII cars. Remember though that you’ll also need the indicator/parking light units.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2L auto (UK spec)

Makes me grateful for my early S1 bumpers and over riders :slightly_smiling_face:

I was in the market for a XJC until I got my S1. Didn’t realize how difficult the swap would be. The euro bumper swap on my XJS seems like a cake walk compared to the above, though sourcing good rubber was a PITA.

I have a fair S1 front bumper and overriders for the cost of shipping & wrapping if anyone wants t experiment with a non-standard raised Euro bumper look using US hinges

The postage was almost as much as the part after the seller dropped the price. Not bad overall.

I have plenty of those :grinning:

I have a question about those: Is the light assembly a base with lamp socket and a separate lens? Seller had the left and right lenses but I did not buy them because I think I need the whole assembly.
Also, it seems that S3 hinges are the same as US spec S2 hinges. -need to check part nos. Perhaps I can sell mine as S3 after the conversion?
Tony

Let me know how it goes. I’ve got a SWB series II that I’ve been oogling the SS bumbers but haven’t pulled the trigger on because the lack of shininess.

Yes, Tony,

there is a rubber foam gasket, a base, another gasket and a plastic lens. Look at my pic

and the parts catalogue

Hope this helps

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

It looks like I finally have all the bits needed for the conversion albeit not necessarily in the condition needed for a proper job (the lot of s/hand front indicators I got will probably end up in the trash
 but it seem these can he has as -expensive- repros).

The latest toy is the left side rear reflector, NOS. I am quite chuffed cause I always disliked the dinky round ones fitted to the US style cars. Really looked like a “whatever” job :slight_smile:

So now on the hunt for a nice right side rear reflector

Oh yes, and clearly there will also be some chromeplating involved at some point

SII hood hinges Euro style now in place. I suspect that there will be a lot of adjusting needed when the hood and the bumpers actually go on

1 Like

rear reflector

I have a couple on my SWB Series II XJ6 - personally I don’t like the look. It looks too cluttered back there. at some point they are coming off. not any time real soon though. I’ll keep you in mind.

1 Like

I agree with the “meh clutter” back there. The rectangular one at least looks thought through, unlike the cheapo round one slapped on as an afterthought in the US

Been looking for alternatives but no success.

Ideas?

That’s what I have the round ones
 do you have a part number?

Here is the Euro one I got NOS.

I have the ugly round ones.
did a quick search, and our (J L) buddy David has both sides. I’d pick both up if I were you.
https://shop.everydayxj.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=C31665
part number C31666 & C31665
Good luck!

I just received new SS bumpers from Harrington. I have unwrapped only a few pieces until I’m ready to do the install. What I see looks very acceptable and carefully made. Unexposed surfaces are painted and the bracket welds are ground smooth. The sheen is not entirely uniform but I am hopeful it can be improved with some polishing.
Thanks to the previous pictures and drawings in this thread I have a very good idea how the front bumper goes together but there is a missing link: Part BD.42127. In Jochen’s diagram it looks like a simple Z-shaped bracket that connects the weldment in the bumper to the stud on the bonnet hinge. I have searched for this and can’t find it. However, it looks like it could be easily fabricated from a piece of Z-section metal. I can determine the hole offset by measuring the mounting points but I don’t know the depth front to rear (middle length of the “Z”). Can anyone help?
Also, in looking for the lights under the bumper, I see there are two types; one is all amber and t’other is 2/3 amber with the outboard 1/3 white/clear. Which would be correct for my '79 S2?

Happy new Year!
Tony

Tony,

depends on what kind of parking lights (pilot lights) you use. If the parking lights are included in the 7" headlights, you only need the lower lights for the indicators, ie full amber. Otherwise the outer chambers are used with white lenses for the parking lights.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Before 1980, I don’t think I have ever seen parking lights included with headlights (in the US) since pre-'68 VW Beetles. I will check my wiring, but I think the current setup might have a dual filament bulb. So, I might be able to go either way.

Thanks,
Tony

Yes, Tony,

as it would have defeated the sense of “sealed beams” to put in holes
for the pilot lights somehow, I can see a logig in that US cars had
their parking lights arranged elsewhere.

Just for sake of clarity - the parking light is usually not a part of a
dual-filament bulb. In the indicator cluster there are two bulbs (one
outer for parking lights, one inner for indicator) just as in the main
headlight there is just a small hole in the reflector to accept the
pilot lights. The parking light has nothing to do with the dual-filament
main light bulbs used for low and high beam (usually Bilux or H4).

Good luck

Jochen