Restomod 1964 S1

I think this has Joey G written all over it!

Impressive piece of work.

1 Like

I really like that car, on the whole.

The interior is too much for me, and the engine compartment aesthetics are a bit blingy, but the “bones” are really cool.

Fitting a small block Ford with a 5-speed, with un-modified (?) frame rails, and no exterior sheet metal cues (hood bulges) is a pretty rare feat. The person who did the swap took great pains to check all those boxes.

SBFs can do it, because of the higher and less angled exhaust ports, wrt SBCs: you can put the headers over the top of the rails, with a Ford.

However, the top frame rails have been modified, and if done on the Reynolds tubing, improperly, would be a no-go for me, not to mention, I just don’t like the sound of most V8s, unless they run 180 degree headers.

I’m just not seeing it…where?

Look at the paint shop pic #178. They look stock to me.

I understand the whole restomod thing but he could have easily updated the 4.2 and get the same outcome. The car is so beautiful but when that bonnet opens :expressionless: :anguished: :disappointed:

I hope he gets top dollar for his car, a lot of work has been put into it, I just wish the owner had more time to enjoy his creation…sad

1 Like

I’m not fundamentally against swaps or restomods, but on this car it seems the same amount of effort and cost could have built a really nice E. And the whole Bond thing seems, uh…pretty lame.

4 Likes

They’ve been “joddled” downwards: hard to see.

Clearly not straight like the stock frames:

2 Likes

Seems like he got exactly what HE wanted with HIS money.

I bet he thinks he ended up with a really nice E, and at your average Cars & Coffee, I bet 90%+ of the people would agree with him.

Nope: they have definitely been altered.

Ok, I’m seeing it now. Pic #203 shows it very clearly.

I’ll admit that’s less than ideal, but I wouldn’t walk away from it for that reason alone, if I could pick the guy’s brain who did them.

Dont get me wrong: it appears to be one of the best-done restomods Ive ever seen.

The frames can be modified, properly, with the Reynolds tubing, or maybe they were recreated in mild steel.

That said, for me, the deal killer is, it makes the wrong noises.

It looks like the diagonal tube was cut and shifted also. I’d also wonder about the mount points which are now seem to be carried directly on the lower Reynolds tubing. It looks like the paint isn’t much liking the heat either.

1 Like

I, like most everyone else on this forum, really like the E-Type styling. But I never understood replacing the Jaguar XK inline six with a V-8. The chassis, the engine, the “feel,” that is the car. I would rather give up the styling and keep the engine. Better yet, I would keep both. IMO.
Tom

1 Like

I never understood V8’s in an E-type either. Even if you wanted to get rid of the XK it seems there would be many other modern in-line engines that would work better with the rest of the car. I love the wood dash in the Jaguar Saloons but to me does not go well in the E.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

That “fraudulent” serial number scares me… could idt be from a stolen car?
LLoyd

In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible.

George Orwell

You don’t have to rely just on the pics. If you watch all four videos, he clearly says they modified the frame minimally.

I’ve always thought it would be great fun to build an E with a modern BMW engine, like the 320HP twin-turbo six from a 335i. Or, keep it in the family, like Pat O’Brien in the UK did by putting the super-charged AJ6 in. Now THAT is, by a country mille, the BEST E-Type restomod ever, and I had the pleasure of seeing it, and hearing it, in person. You literally could not tell it didn’t come from the factory that way. Absolutely magnificent!

Regards,
Ray L.

2 Likes

But not clarifying if it was done properly.

“I never joke about my work double oh seven…”

1 Like