Reverse Lights 1971 XKE S2 OTS

Hi All,

Almost have the new harness connections completed in the trunk area. The last mystery is the reverse lights harness…

Can someone please help me as to how/where the reverse lights harness exits under the rear end of the body. I know that it feeds (gets power) from the left side. Do both wires exit in the center hole on top of the lic plate area, and then split and connect to each of the left and right lights? Or do the the wires exit at each hole that exits on each side of the body?

What is the correct routing?

Many thanks in advance!
Bob

On mine there is a hole (with a grommet) near each reverse lamp and the wires (power and ground) emerge separately for each lamp.

Here is the right side (left looks the same):

Thanks Geo!

Makes sense! I will make sure mine are like your example.
Thanks again,
Bob

Hey, where is your stainless steel trim piece? :smile:

In the ‘steamer trunk’ where it will stay nice & shiny for the next owner.

I thought a bit about this and looked at it both ways:

So far I still favor less back there but simple enough to put it back if my mood changes.

Looks good either way, IMO.

What’s going on with all the artwork n the painted surfaces?

56 dings & dents plus a couple of holes to be welded up before paint…

Note, for example, the two circles on the bonnet from when someone tried to use the radiator support as a jacking point.

I have a very late in production '71 series II OTS and mine is the same as described.

Because of how the lamp is constructed inside, the lamp should be oriented such that the harness protrudes from the bottom of the light. Looks wrong but with if oriented as in the picture the light will shine up rather than down. It’s because of how the bulb is vertically oriented and pointing down.

Richard Liggitt

Interesting. Mine have certainly been off & on the car a few times so they could have easily been installed upside down.

I doubt that I have backed up in the dark more than a time or two in the past 5 years - but I will experiment with the light pattern and see what happens.

Interesting, and nice catch. I just went down and turned mine over. I’m not sure how much difference it will make since my lenses are some what yellowed with age.

It didn’t seem logical to me to have the cable on the bottom but I learned after I installed mine that just turning the lens around didn’t do the trick.

On the subject of reverse lights…might want to talk to Marek , a frequent and knowledgeable contributor to this forum. I use his LED reverse light set up on my Series 3 (back of car same as yours) and the difference is night and day (pardon the pun). You will see his name many times…contact him and let him explain. Also, it appears, I could be wrong, that you are going to fill in the holes where the silly side marker lights were installed on US import cars. Bravo !! In to the garbage ! LOL !

Yes, though on Series 2s they weren’t even lights. They used the big bulky fixtures w/o wires & bulbs - they were merely reflectors. I suppose it was a ‘phased implementation’?

I did not know that…interesting. So in other words, those side markers were an even dumber idea than I had originally imagined. LOL

IIRC, the side markers acquired electric bulbs sometime around the 1970 model year.

My '71 series II built in October of '70 has these with bulbs that light

Can you please post a pic of the correct position of the lens? It would be nice to have the cable/wire on top, out of view, and have the lens in the proper position so as to illuminate the backup area…

Thanks!
Bob

I agree about the appearance. But I tried rotating the lens but it either didn’t fit correctly or it didn’t make any difference because of the angle of the bulb. With the connection on the bottom the “LUCAS” on the lens is right side up.

I just installed a set of tail light lenses with integral reverse lights, from Marek.

Here they are, just installed:

Here’s the reverse lights:

Here’s the brake lights:

Notice that the backup lights turn red when brakes are applied, and white when backing up. Very clever. Lights are VERY bright. I more than doubled my stopping illumination.

Two thumbs up for a great product!

PS: gratuitous shot of Marek’s SII headlight conversion kit, also installed on my car:

1 Like