Reverse lights flickering in P

Hi Everyone! Can a loose transmission cable cause this problem? I removed the right rear light module because I heard one of the relays clicking very fast. I checked the solder joints but everything seemed fine.
Has anybody experienced this kind of problem? No CEL on the dash or any fault code.
Thanks!

Joe,

Never had that problem but since the transmission rotary switch triggers the relay in the BFM to turn on the reversing lights, I guess a bad contact in it or the connectors between it and the BFM could cause that to happen. Check the Slate/light green wire from the rear BFMs to see if there is a problem with it going to ground somewhere.

Thank you Bryan, I’ll check that wire.

Joe,

On re-reading your post I realise I may have not properly considered what you said the first time. Could it be that in fitting a new cable the position of the gearshift mechanism is not properly adjusted so that the transmission rotary switch thinks that the tranny is still in ‘R’ when the shift lever on the console is firmly in ‘P’?

Bryan, I too thought of it. I admit the rotary switch is not adjusted perfectly and it is towards the D. If I put the gearshift in D then select N, the D light is still lit and not the N. Plus I heard clicking from both BFMs not just the right side. Maybe the transmission cable stretched over time just enough to trigger the BFMs?

Hi Joe,
I had a similar problem with the reversing lights flickering in P after refitting the centre console which I’d removed during replacing the saggy headlining. It was only when I set about doing it correctly instead of rushing like the first time, I became aware of how little the movement was between off and flickering. In my case it was just the lever touching the bezel before it was fully in park and refitting the console correctly cured it, but it was only about 3 mm.

I can’t remember if the cable is visible with the bezel removed, maybe somebody else will know, but if it is maybe it would be possible to first test it by pulling the cable a little with the lever in P to see if the flickering stops, then see if it’s possible for the lever to move just that fraction further forward, or if the cable can be adjusted from that end ?
hope your sort it soon
cheers.

Hi Casso!
It’s been a few months since I last removed the center console but this problem started Sat. night. I’ll let you know how it goes, right now there’s no flickering.
Cheers!