Revisiting Series 2 Stromberg to triple SU conversion

Well, I’ve pretty sure I’m going to bite the bullet (and chew it) to convert my current dual ZS system to the triple SU’s. After doing considerable research, I’ve found a lot of (what appears to be) decent used systems all over the place. My problem with that is they need rebuilding and polishing, and oftentimes need parts. By the time I pay someone to do that, I’m pretty close to buying a brand new unit, notwithstanding the time element. Burlen orders, from the UK, are on backorder. Better availability can be had from the usual catalog sources. So…here’s the reason for this post…most places, the conversion kit hovers around $6K. SNG Barratt offers the “standard” FZX3060 kit for $7,200, while they also have an “aftermarket reproduction” kit for $5,500. I’m told the ONLY difference is they have an aftermarket intake manifold, made to exact specifications, and can’t be told from the one offered in the “standard” kit. Still, original SU carbs by Burlen with this kit. Does anyone have any experience with this kit from Barratt? I’d like to hear any “pros” and “cons” from the multitude of “Jag-heads” frequenting this forum. C’mon you guys, steer me in the right direction!

@Nickolas has a set WAY less expensive than that, and I bet his are in good nick.

I go with Paul. I think Nick’s kit is a no-brainer in comparison

If needed you could send them to Joe Curto and have him rebuild the set. I think he’s about $750-800 for a triple SU

Then you’d have an original set, and carbs dialed in by the best, for half of what you’d pay.

1 Like

I have thought about this too, many times, but have decided to stay with the original ZS carbs. When I bought mine I had never played around with constant depression type carbs and was quite nervous about digging into them even though I could tell they needed attention. Turns out the ZS carbs are really pretty simple. If the SU’s are similar why not get the used ones and try rebuilding them your self ? In my case I figured if I got in over my head I could just box them up and send to Joe Curto so decided to try to do them my self first.

David
68 E-type FHC