Road Trip - Raleigh/Seattle/LA/Raleigh - Final Update!

Glad to see you’re having fun, Harvey. We did the North Cascades Highway on the 2019 Oil Leak, so the route looks very familiar. With regards to the “Remaining Miles to Empty” display, I think most modern vehicles base this one the level of fuel in the tank and the measured fuel usage per mile over the most recently covered miles. So, if you are coasting downhill for a period the Remaining Miles will be static or increase for a while until you encounter road conditions that require more fuel usage. I remember the display on my 1998 XK8 would vary wildly as the algorithm it used was too sensitive to recent fuel usage. These days, the manufacturers seem to have improved the algorithms somewhat. Give us a wave as you head down Highway 1 through Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur!

Harvey, It looks like you chose well given the options available to you. Unfortunately, Chinook Pass doesn’t open until tomorrow, and the road to Sunrise on Mr. Rainier is closed too. Those are two of the most scenic roads you could ever drive, particularly the road to Sunrise. Put them on the agenda for your next trip.

Yes, I was actually planning to go to Sunrise but my son advised me that the roads were still closed. Bummer. I was up there years ago with the kids when they were in middle school. I still remember it fondly. We also hiked up to the (remaining) rim of Mt. St. Helens during that trip. That was surreal.

And since fuel pumps are cooled by immersion in the fuel, running it close to empty might reduce the life of the pump if done often.:person_shrugging:

1 Like

Harvey, the summer I was 16, I was part of a Boy Scout Explorer Post traveling in a 57 Good Station Wagon and a brand new 57 Plymouth sedan. Our destination was Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. The wagon was driven by its owner and our Scoutmaster Navy LtCdr Weatherhead and my car was driven by my dad, Cdr Jim Moore. Both adults were aviators and we were all based on NAS Pensacola, Someplace out west my Dad said he would take a nap if I could drive a spell. My three friends in the back seat were all smiles as Dad had held the speed down, So as soon as Dad was asleep, I added a little more speed . I kept adding speed a little at a time, and before long, we were flyings, leaving Cdr Weatherhead way behind.Then I hit a pretty good dip, Dad woke up and looked at the speedo and declared he was ready to drive again, I know I was doing 100 a few times so I imagine I was well over 80, He did not ask ne to drive again.

2 Likes

I’m told the reason for that is that early in the morning before you normally wake up is when you have your deepest sleep, your body clock just says ‘I want to sleep’, very hard to fight.

I’ve done that hike. Incredible!

1 Like

I’m not that ambitious at my age. I did go to the top, but by helicopter. :helicopter:

1 Like

The last time we were at Yellowstone we hiked the trail down to the bottom of the falls. The Brink of the Lower Falls Trail. A very pretty, interesting hike down. Back up, not so much; the word “brutal” comes to mind.

We’re going way back now (my son was born in 1980, the year Mt. St. Helens erupted). We lived in Richland WA, just outside the heavy ash zone. I flew a Cessna 172 over the crater a few months after the eruption. The devastation was incredible. The residual ash was very tough on internal combustion engines (and jet turbines for that matter). I lost an engine on a VW due to ash ingestion. I can only imagine how many engines the WA Highway Patrol went through, as they had to maintain activity in all the areas where ash landed.

@John_Walker I try to avoid hikes that start with the descent phase :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Harvey, I was with the Wash. National Guard when St. Helens Blew… we were in Yakima, 2nd day of Summer camp… we flew many hrs doing search and rescue in our Hueys… we didn’t have a single mechanical failure… although when one of the engines was torn down, the high temp turbines were ceramic glazed…!!

4 Likes

Heading out from Seattle this morning on the West Coast leg of my trip. It should be fun. Stopping to see several Jag-Lovers participants.

3 Likes

Next stop on Harvey’s trip was chez Taylor in West Linn, Oregon. Last night we had martinis, rib eye steaks on the barby, and a fine local pinot noir, followed by a tour of the E. Ton of fun waxing poetic about all things Jaguar. After breakfast today, Harvey left for Salem, and then will be headed west to Highway 101 south to continue his trek to California. Thanks for a great time, Harvey!

5 Likes

I crossed the Golden Gate bridge today. CA Route 1 in northern CA is very technical. My wrists are hurting tonight. It’s a good hurt :slight_smile:

7 Likes

So bringing a trailer through there is not recommended?

Asking for a friends wife who thinks that is her preferred route for us (I mean them) to take coming down from Seattle and Oregon

Dunno about a trailer but I have done it with a 35’ motor home towing a car several times, no issues & very enjoyable. If you want a challenge do the million dollar highway north out of Silverton, CO.

Rod

Rod

1 Like

That, and Independent Pass!

(where RVs are wisely banned)

Truly, an amaaazing road trip!

Sounds good. Regarding the Million Dollar Hwy, I have a lot more respect for my mother, who drove that pulling a pop-up with three boys in the back seat. I drove it in a blizzard at night around 2009, luckily downhill on the mountain side. A line from The Band song “Cripple Creek” comes to mind. “ If I get off of this mountain….”

:grimacing::flushed::grimacing::flushed:

1 Like

My mom’s cousins visited us in the early 70s, and wanted to see the mountains which they, as lifelong NYC and Florida residents, had never seen.

Dad, with his wicked sense of humor, thought that it would be a good thing to take them up Mount Evans in the 420 Jaguar. Apparently they sat, squashed together in the backseat, staring straight out the windshield, absolutely petrified as my dad would pull over to the edges and say, “if you look down there you can see Denver.”

:laughing:

To @Harvey_Ferris: I really enjoy following along your tales of this epic journey, and it serves as a bit of an inspiration for my upcoming plans to do a version of it myself.

1 Like