RobY / '68 S1.5 OTS resurrection - Part 2

The RHS side hub cleaned up nicely and the u-joints and seals felt and looked good. All of the u-joint caps purged grease when new grease was pumped in.

I was able to remove the RHS inner fulcrum shaft fairly easily, using the left over 5/8" rod that I had from making the dummy shafts for the outer fulcrum shafts. The LHS as a bit more work though - the 5/8" rod kept getting hung up inside, and the OEM shaft was really tight. I felt like the rod and shaft might be getting hung up on the fulcrum bearing tubes. I downsized to a 1/2" rod and with that I was able to hammer out the shaft. Post-inspection determined I was correct - the gummed up grease on the shaft and the bearing tubes was causing a really tight fit.

I haven’t cleaned and inspected the fulcrum shafts yet but I think they’re undamaged and able to be reused. Some of the outer fulcrum thrust washers are grooved pretty well, and while the inner thrust washers and seal retaining rings looked good, it’s looking to be more economical to buy the inner fulcrum rebuild kits and just replace all washers, seals, retainers, bearings and bearing tubes.

After cleaning up the bearing tubes - you can see how damaged they are. Funny how easily I was mislead by the relatively smooth motion of the wishbones, when I swung them by hand, before disassembling them.

1 Like