RobY / '68 S1.5 OTS resurrection - Part 2

Still chipping away in my spare time. I’ve replied to and generated some other threads that cover some of this, but figured I’d update this one for a little continuity in my “epoch”.

I got the rear shocks and springs assembled, with Eric’s (@64etype) custom bump stop solution included.

Daisy-chain safety wired the three bolts on each of the output shaft/brake caliper flanges. I’m not sure it’s really needed but I’ve never done it and wanted the experience. It sure looks easier than it is, at least when access isn’t ideal and you’ve got three to string together! I’m happy enough with how they turned out and I have a new respect for the procedure.

I installed the new rear brake discs and verified run out was in spec - all good. So I got the rear brake calipers shimmed, installed, and safety-wired in place. Automec copper-nickel brake crossover pipes and EBS Greenstuff pads. As others have mentioned, I had to trim the edges of the Greenstuff pad backing plates to allow them to fit in the slots.

The handbrake retraction forks I removed matched each other so I debated on whether I needed new ones. Sure glad I decided to replace them. Here you can see the comparison between the old ones (in the rear) and the new ones (in the front):

I test fit the differential mounting brackets and inner fulcrum shafts and determined what shims I’d need. The mounting brackets are now shimmed, installed and safety wired. Through this whole process I’ve been careful not to bend or bang the cage, especially once I removed the bottom tie plate. I ended up with different shims than what I had removed, but I’m really happy with the fit. I can slide each of the fulcrum shafts into place by hand, with only a little “here and there” inner or outer pressure on the cage, with my hand, while sliding them in. I have not yet installed the wishbones but I have all the parts I need. I talked about that, and the inner fulcrum tubes, in this thread: Inner fulcrum bearing tubes - new discovery

Now the interesting part, that I’m sure will horrify some and cause others to laugh.
When I was looking over the car before I had it shipped from my dad’s place in Canada, I discovered a “custom feature” that I vaguely recalled him talking about when I was a kid. Now was the time for me to remove it (due to ease of access) since it passes through the boot floor and exits right above the IRS cage. And, I suspect, it’s probably not legal!! In the boot there was black can velcro-strapped to the bulkhead. The can contains a light oil that can be pumped through a rubber hose that transitions to a metal tube, and that metal tube was welded into the exhaust pipe. The pump is actuated by a switch under the dash. Yes, I have removed the custom smoke generator. :cry:
Now I’ll need to find a rubber plug for the hole in the boot floor.

5 Likes