[s-type] Anti-roll stabilizer bar links

Yesterday I changed all 4 of my stabilizer bar links. They were a
bit worn and making a rattling sound when going over small bumps.
Its the kind of thing that gets gradually louder so you don’t
notice it until they have worn quite a bit. The originals have no
grease nipples, greased for life so I guess 165k miles is life. I
found quite a selection of choices in brand names and prices on the
market. I chose MOOG brand from Rock Auto because they showed a
picture with a grease nipple, though it turned out that the rears
had nipples but the fronts did not. I might add them later if I get
ambitious. On the old rears I had to put channel locks on the ball
shafts in order to get the nuts off. The old fronts were very hard
to remove, corroded into the aluminum, so I had to put a torch on
them and beat them out with a big hammer. The new ones went in easy
enough with never-sieze. Now it is back to smooth quiet driving
again.–
XK120 FHC, Mark V saloon, XJ12L Series II, S-Type 3.0
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

Well, this is a convenient feature of the forum; I was able to find the note I posted here when I had previously changed my links 6 years ago, and knowing the month and year, I was able to find my original purchase order number from Rock Auto.

The fronts started making a rattling noise at about 220k miles, but I thought that since I had replaced them once, it must be something else making the noise. Nope, after eliminating everything else, finally convinced myself that it must be the links, so I removed them and drove it without. Yep, noise was gone. I had replaced them at 165k miles and I’m at 226k miles now. So they lasted about 55 to 60,000 miles of ordinary suburban driving.

They carry a lifetime guarantee, so I obtained new identical Moog ones from Rock Auto and put them on today with plenty of Anti-Seize on the threads, and the old worn out ones are on their way back to Rock Auto for a refund.

Now that the front is quiet again, I think I hear a noise in the rear. Perhaps the rears last a little longer, but are starting to get worn out now.