S1 4.2 Radio Console Question

Can someone tell me if this looks like a proper radio console for a '65 S1 4.2 OTS? (Other than the radio opening has been blocked off.) The guy that will be trimming my interior said that the bar, circled in red on the second photo, will interfere with the dash and cannot be installed. He showed me a console, that looked like mine except the radio opening was open, that a customer brought him with a 65 OTS E that would not fit. The customer bought another console, without the top section, that he trimmed and it fit fine. My car is at the body shop and not assembled enough to try fitting this piece to see if it fits.

Unless someone tells me differently, all I can think of is that his customers’ car had A/C. I know this console will not fit in a car with A/C.
thanks,
Dave Christensen

It certainly wouldn’t fit in a Series II with factory AC.

Dave,
The radio console pictured is correct for a Series 1 4.2 OTS or FHC. The opening for the radio has been modified and the metal face plate that is covered in leather is missing(see photo). If the center console between the seats and the radio console are not carefully installed there my be a fitment issue that causes the top of the radio console circled in red to interfere with the gauge panel and prevent it from opening.
Tom

Without the upper “bar”, there’s no way to mount the ashtray. Given the habits of the 60’s, an ashtray was essential standard equipment.

As Tom has indicated, it can interfere with the opening of the instrument panel (since I have no radio I remove my console when I need to open the panel up) but from the factory this wasn’t a problem. It’s probably extra insulation on the center tunnel causing the clearance problem in my case.

But the console itself will fit right in place after upholstery. It is just thin leather stock - no padding or insulation.

Dave

Here’s my '66 before installing a bluetooth Retrosound

Search the archives we just talked about radio consoles, the one you show is for a series 2 ,the series one has flat speaker mounts so I understand

Cheers

Definitely a 4.2 ……series 1 …… it will not work from a clearance point of view if you have too much insulation on the gearbox tunnel ……. Because I have ac in my car I and insulation on the tunnel ……. I have a removable switch plate which attaches at each end and is riveted in the centre to keep it looking correct ….works like a charm!

The S1 parts manual shows raised speaker mounts (item 31). I have another console, with flat speaker mounts, that came from my '69 when I installed A/C.

Mine, above, is a series 1, not flat.

Yes early cars had a flat speaker not sure when they changed, thought yours was early enough you asked because ….it doesn’t fit ?

I asked because the guy that will be trimming my interior said it won’t fit. He showed me one one, like mine, that he said would not fit into another customer’s 4.2 S1.

The early one has a round ashtray and the speaker sides are smaller, mounting holes are only at the top, yours may have been modified. that’s all I’ve got hope it helps
Cheers

They changed on the later 3.8’s when they changed from the aliminium to black vinyl center dash & leather console.

This is interesting talk about the consoles. My '67 2+2 (S1.5) is a little different. Mine had AC that I removed. This is my console…

On the S2 radio console the railed speaker rings were separate parts that bolted on with the screen mesh trapped between. The “bulge” was no longer stamped into the frame.

The panel on my S1 4.2 never “fit” correctly from the factory, i.e, it wouldn’t open unless I removed the switch legend. This is quite a well known issue with the 4.2 S1.