S1 Hatch Door Glass Gasket

I’m getting ready to install glass in my hatch door but I’m confused on the sequence. Do I need to upholster the hatch door first? My original interior was done like the following but the wrap around lapped seams look like an invitation to leaks. I don’t see any evidence of a gasket sealer having been used.

Question 2: Does the vinyl trim strip in the last picture need to be installed before the door/body seal?

Thanks
Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

I just did a replacement of the original seal on my '67. The vinyl trim was wrapped around it just like yours without any sealant. It didn’t leak into the car but water would accumulate under it after the exterior got wet. After 56 years there was no rust under it like yours. I opted to reinstall just as it was.

Getting the glass back into the seal is not an easy job. It’s simplified if you create some find of support under the glass that will hold it so it doesn’t fall through the sloppy seal as you try to work it into the seal. I used a box under the window with a couple of towels to hold the glass level with the lower seal.

Some tools to help out - you may be aware of these. The top one is to install the locking strip in about a minute.

Re Q 2, there’s no seal around the perimeter of the hatch itself. The hatch seal fits in the channel around the body opening. The vinyl overlap of the window frame is correct however.

I replaced my glass seal about a year ago by myself with no helper. I had a new seal that had been sitting in the bedroom closet for several years. It was not pliable enough for me to install and I struggled with it for a few hours before giving up and buying a new fresh softer seal from SNG. I also would not have been able to do the job by myself without a set of these suction cup clamps (that others here had suggested) to support the glass and then hold in the chrome trim strip while working it around and into the seal.

David
68 E-type FHC

Clive,

I’m referring to the vinyl strip numbered 47 in these 2 pictures. It appears to hook over the body lip. If the seal is only glued at the bottom of the channel there might be enough room to shoe horn it in after the seal, resulting in a tighter fit. But maybe is too difficult that way and should go in first.

Rick

Thanks Terry. David, those cup clamps are on my list.

Rick

Rick,
The vinyl is wrapped over the lip first then trim it as you see in these images above. The rubber seal fits over that lip very snugly, so no worries re: water ingress.

I certainly had the vinyl inner body opening trim (your item 47) in place before the hatch lid weather seal. May be able to do the other way around but was easy this way to fit weather seal.

Hi Rick. I didn’t answer your second question. I think you are referring to the heavy rubber/plastic piece that circles the hatch opening and is upholstery coloured. That has nothing to do with the hatch seal but it will be slightly easier to install with the hatch removed from the hinges. It is actually one of the first pieces installed in an upholstery redo as one side goes under the upholstery covered pieces that cover the cars structure. It’s much more difficult to install if the upholstery is installed first.

Rick, Sorry about that. I misunderstood which piece you referred to. Now I see that you mean the heavy molded self colored PVC piece which finishes the body opening.

This pic would indicate that I installed mine before anything else in that area because of the need to get it under the roof lining anchor brackets etc.

I used the original part so it was already mostly formed and bent to fit but I remember it went a lot easier if it was soaked in warm water first.

The early '62 is a little different than than a '65

07-rear inside out

Thanks everyone. Much clearer now.

Rick

I remember this job as the worst I’ve ever experienced. I didn’t have youse guys in the early 90s to give me tips. I remember laying inside and holding the window whilst installing it into the lip of the gasket. UGH, I still have nightmares…

When I had the 2+2 I fought for hours and gave up. Took it to a glass shop and they took about 10 minutes. Then I went back home and fought the chrome trim.

1 Like

Hi I have just done my rear glass just to say it is very difficult even with 2 people please put protection on the paint as you will probably slip and I have replaced screens in different car but in the e type you should fit the seat in first and then try to fit the glass I tied a thick string around the top to stop the glass falling in and lots of Vaseline good luck
John