S1 "project car" selling prices

It will be difficult but the trade-off and risks of the alternative add up to about the same I think. I wouldn’t drive a bonnetless e-type more than a couple blocks here. They’d throw the book at me if I got caught. Covid really complicates matters. I think it will be doable but need to consider the steps before starting. It’s only different from normal jacking in the amount necessary.

I do have turn signals though I suppose they could cite me for no headlamps. But generally us old white guys can get away with almost anything.

I’m not saying that as a brag or a judgement, just an observed fact that kids & minorities can’t count on getting the same amount of slack.

5 Likes

Sad but true. It’s still risky though. Plus there is the risk of leaving it on someone else’s property, and also challenging to secure muscle that is competent and fit, as well as willing to both brave Covid and at the same time not be a Covidiot who refuses to mask, all while not getting fired from a full time day job. I think this will be doable with sufficient planning.

I was also considering whether I could use the gantry and have two trolleys and chain hoists, one one each end. Then use a cradle under each front wheel and hoist the front end from the cradles. It would only cost another $150 to have twin chain hoists attached and it’s a 4 ton gantry.

I’m thinking something like this strapped to the wheel, maybe with a bar welded across the bottom for lifting.

I cannot see how you could get the motor in place with the bonnet on without doing some damage along the way. There is also the aggravation factor of trying to work around it in a confined area. Could you not get a couple of big strong friends/relatives to help you take it off and then carry it in through your front door and store it up against a wall? Beer & Pizza for payment. Make sure they drink the beer AFTER they move the bonnet😀

The bonnet can be stood up straight and strung to a ceiling hook. The crane can then be centered over the lump and used to lower it to the ground. The car will be on jack stands firmly planted during that so no unexpected shifting. I predict a dismounting party would be more likely to result in bonnet damage than this given the limited maneuvering space. Some work needs to be conducted along side, removing exhaust, removing interior, rotating wheels to get to shaft bolts so there really isn’t a convenient place to stash it.

The only real concern is lifting the car over the engine. If I can work out a sling system that would allow the crane to be used that would be ideal. If not then it’s hand jacking.

If you’re willing or able to remove the chrome strips between the fenders and center section you can lift and move it with an engine hoist or your A-frame. My spouse and I moved it all over the place (before and after final paint). The balance point with bumpers and lights would likely be one bolt hole forward of the one in the photo. (It’s attached to the hoist at the center eye bolt).

1 Like

Nice technique! I’m still left with the challenge of what to do with it though. I can’t even roll that gantry crane very far because it interferes with everything.

How long do you expect to have the bonnet off of the car?

My two cents. Take the bonnet off, rent a storage unit for a few months, transport the bonnet in a rented truck if necessary. Out of the way and secure is the key. I would pull the engine from the top using your gantry. You will find the gantry/chain hoist combination is much steadier than a typical engine hoist. You can lift the engine and transmission out, moving the car out of the way on its wheels. With the body out of the way, lower the engine onto another dolly or mount. It really is not that difficult and the body will still roll because there is no need to partially disassemble the suspension and torsion bars. And, I don’t know what is on the other side of those walls, but can it be more valuable than garage space?

You’re welcome to borrow my bonnet trolly, which is on casters (I’m up the road a piece in Arlington). Could you throw down a piece of plywood and roll it out beside or behind the garage…cover it with a tarp? Tie a mean dog to it…or maybe a chain with locks…or both…

Thanks but the problem is I have an “awkward” property. It’s just not remotely user friendly. I consider everything outside my house and garage to be a no-go zone. This is what my drive looks like and there is almost no usable land (although the taxing authority doesn’t agree)

Ha! I guess that depends on your perspective. I only have 935 sqft of living space and don’t hanker to living in a GarageMahol. :rofl:

1 Like

That photo does NOT represent how steep your driveway is!!! You can store it at my place, but you have to bring beer for payment! You can set it next to mine!
-Steve

Hard to say. Somewhere between one month an four. Typical range.

Awe!! Yer sweet, but distant. If I’d known I would have had the gantry delivered to you. As it was to had to pay to have it shipped from Dallas. Yeah the drive is between 27-30 degrees. If I drop a socket it will roll for 1/5 mile.

looks like the place next door is for rent! Perhaps sublet the garage?

It’s an old photo from when my tenant unit was for lease.

:-). We call our next door neighbors’ place the Garage Mahal. 1 BR apartment with a separate sleeping loft above that’s built into a roughly 4000 sq foot shop with heated floors. Originally built by an older retired guy but now owned by a young state trooper, wife and two kids. I like a good garage, but prefer a little more house/garage balance.

1 Like

Well… I’m sposed to get my shot by March: if ya can hang on that long… my car knows the way.

It’ll cost ya a loooooootta Torchy’s.

There miiight some competent feller, up in Denton, who’s a lot closer.

:smiley:

2 Likes

Oh man, that BaT listing of the faux 1965 roadster just went from 46,500 to 81,000 in a single bid with 15 hours to go! Plus some unknowns are telling questioners they are being too hard on the seller. I smell a rat. Shill bidding and collusion in an attempt to make a questionable car go for a high price.

Add to the fact that my comments aren’t being posted. Am I somehow blacklisted? On another recent listing it took 17 hours for my comment to show. What gives?